Andrew Carnegie provided $35,000 towards the construction of Elkhart's first public library, which opened in 1903. It served the city until 1963, when a new library was built across the street. In 1969, the Elkhart City Council approved the sale of the Carnegie to First National Bank, which promptly demolished it in favor of parking.
Elkhart Public Library
No Copyright - United States;
Elkhart County (Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.