From its construction in 1917, the Foster mansion, second from the left in Photo 1, was the focal point of the St. Joseph Manor neighborhood. Elkhart architect E. Hill Turnock designed all the buildings in the picture. The Foster Mansion garage opened onto the St. Joseph River in back and doubled as the boathouse. The mansion, its boathouse, and the house on the right were razed in 2002 by their new owners, Rex and Alice Martin of NIBCO Inc., to provide space for a new home. Due to zoning complications, no progress has been seen at the site since then.
Elkhart Public Library
No Copyright - United States;
Elkhart County (Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.