This photograph shows McNaughton Park at a bend in the St. Joseph River. The park is located near the Elkhart General Hospital off of West and South Boulevards. The area was part of a real estate development in 1887 known as Highland Addition hence the original name of Highland Park. Development and sale of lots did not go as the Elkhart Real Estate Association had planned. In 1905, John McNaughton became very excited over the recent success of Elkhart's first Chautauqua. He arranged to purchase the Highland Park area and donated it to the city under a few conditions. Two of these included that the park's name be changed to McNaughton and that the city allow Chautauquas to take place at the park for at least another five years. This photograph was taken after 1978. You can see that the river has flooded by the water level at the bandshell (lower left) and trees nearest the banks.
Elkhart Public Library
No Copyright - United States;
Elkhart County (Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.