Shown here is a footbridge along the St. Joseph River in McNaughton Park. McNaughton Park was donated to the city by John McNaughton on September 27, 1905. It is located near the Elkhart General Hospital along the St. Joseph River and off of South and West Boulevards. The land was laid out as a park, originally known as Highland Park, in 1887 and owned by the Elkhart Real Estate Association. When John McNaughton purchased the land he agreed to give it to the city on the condition that the name be changed from Highland to McNaughton Park. He also negotiated that the Chautauqua be held on the grounds for at least 5 years. It is the city's third oldest park and was the meeting place of the Chautauqua from 1905-1917.
Elkhart Public Library
No Copyright - United States;
Elkhart County (Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.