This bridge into Island Park was the third structure to allow foot traffic onto the island. Before the first bridge was built in 1885, access to the island was only possible by ferry or scow (a type of sailing dinghy). This bridge was actually one of the spans of the third Main Street bridge which was taken down in 1892 and brought to the park to replace the existing wooden bridge. It remained at the island until a storm in 1952 bought a tree down across the bridge which destroyed it. Two years passed before another bridge was erected to allow access to Island Park.
Elkhart Public Library
No Copyright - United States;
Elkhart County (Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.