Elkhart Fire Department drill

Description: The Elkhart Fire Department runs a drill to Ziesel Brothers Department Store at 327-331 S. Main Street, at the Franklin Street intersection. When Elkhart became a city in 1875, Edward Campbell was the appointed Fire Chief. At that time, the fire department ran on a volunteer basis. In October 1893, the department was reorganized and put on paid status. As the city and its population grew, the need for a larger fire department became evident. Three stations were added between 1904 and 1905. By 1910 the city determined to begin motorizing the department, spurred on by the burning of the C.G. Conn company that same year. (Before the first engine could arrive, the Star Match factory also burnt to the ground.) The purpose of the drill seen in this photograph (taken around 1910) was to practice the newly-acquired fire engine. By 1916, they had a fully motorized fire department.
Source: http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/isl4/id/385
Collection: Elkhart Public Library
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/;
Copyright: No Copyright - United States;
Subjects: Elkhart County (Ind.)
Fire stations
Fire engines & equipment

Further information on this record can be found at its source.