Elkhart Fire Department parade

Description: This parade down Main Street shows the Elkhart Fire Department vehicles. When Elkhart became a city in 1875, Edward Campbell was the appointed Fire Chief. At that time, the fire department ran on a volunteer basis. In October 1893, the city's fire department was reorganized and put on paid status. As the city and its population grew, the need for a larger fire department become evident. Three stations were added between 1904 and 1905. By 1910, the city determined to begin motorizing the department. By 1916, they had accomplished this goal.
Source: http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/isl4/id/384
Collection: Elkhart Public Library
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/;
Copyright: No Copyright - United States;
Subjects: Elkhart County (Ind.)
Fire stations
Fire engines & equipment
Parades & processions

Further information on this record can be found at its source.