Collection Order
<< < > >>

Harvest Queen Flour Mill

Description: This mill was known as the Sage Grist Mill although the business was named the Harvest Queen Flour Mill. It was established by Martin and Norman Sage in late 1869 at the northeast corner of Jackson Street and Elkhart Avenue. According to newspaper reports, the mill's reputation was such that men would bring their grain from 30-40 miles away to be processed. A fair estimate stated the mill could process 350 barrels per day. It was a four-storied operation whose frame structure measured 50 x 85 feet. It also consisted of a detached building known as the barrel house. The will was owned by F. Fulkerson around 1899 and in 1903 purchased by Arthur Burrell and Daniel Morgan. A fire in October 1909 destroyed the building. This photograph was taken between 1886 and 1904.
Source: http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/isl4/id/502
Collection: Elkhart Public Library
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/;
Copyright: No Copyright - United States;
Subjects: Elkhart County (Ind.)
Flour & meal industry
Mills

Further information on this record can be found at its source.