Description: |
Havilah Beardsley started the 8th flour mill in northern Indiana. The Beardsley Flour Mill (also known as the Elkhart Flouring Mill), built in 1840, was located off Beardsley Ave. on the north side of the St. Joseph River and was powered by the flow of Christiana Creek. The mills location on navigable water was advantageous to the business for, at the time, boats came from Lake Michigan to Elkhart. Following Dr. Beardsleys death in 1856, the mill was run by his son James Rufus and son-in-law Benjamin L. Davenport. Much of the machinery and materials from the flour mill was sold off to other like businesses before it was razed in 1905. |
---|---|
Source: |
http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/isl4/id/504 |
Collection: |
Elkhart Public Library |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/; |
Copyright: |
No Copyright - United States; |
Subjects: |
Elkhart County (Ind.) Flour & meal industry Mills |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.