Havilah Beardsley started the 8th flour mill in northern Indiana. The Beardsley Flour Mill (also known as the Elkhart Flouring Mill), built in 1840, was located off Beardsley Ave. on the north side of the St. Joseph River and was powered by the flow of Christiana Creek. The mill's location on navigable water was advantageous to the business for, at the time, boats came from Lake Michigan to Elkhart. Following Dr. Beardsley's death in 1856, the mill was run by his son James Rufus and son-in-law Benjamin L. Davenport. Much of the machinery and materials from the flour mill was sold off to other like businesses before it was razed in 1905. Pictured to the left of the mill about 400 feet down river is the Beardsley Paper Mill (Elkhart Paper Mill), which was built in 1846-47.
Elkhart Public Library
No Copyright - United States;
Elkhart County (Ind.)
Flour & meal industry
Further information on this record can be found at its source.