Robertson Hall

Description: The groundbreaking for Robertson Hall occurred on December 6, 1940, and the building opened on January 28, 1942. Originally known as the College of Religion Building, the name was changed to Robertson Hall in 1966. According to the 1942 edition of The Drift, The College of Religion supervised by Dean Frederick D. Kershner, realized the dream of several years this year when the College was moved from the second floor of Jordan hall to the gracious new Georgian structure overlooking the canal. The building, thoroughly equipped for advanced research and study, cost more than a quarter of a million dollars. Lecture rooms, a dining room and kitchen, heating plant, storage rooms, and adequate facilities from drama presentations are located on the ground floor. A spacious reception room, administrative office, classrooms, the library, and reading rooms occupy the first floor. The second floor is devoted to classrooms, seminar rooms, a museum, and departmental offices. All the dignity and simplicity of a New England meeting house is present in the chapel which occupies the north wing of the building. Open house for the building was held January 28, 1942, about a year after construction on the structure began (p. 25).
Source: http://palni.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/BldgsGrnds/id/1544
Collection: Butler University Buildings and Grounds Collection
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-EDU/1.0/
Copyright: In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted
Geography: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, 39.840670, -86.172465
39.840670
-86.172465
Subjects: Spires
Lampposts
Stairs
Sidewalks
Trees
Shrubs
Columns
Butler University--Buildings
College buildings
Butler University--History
Indianapolis (Ind.)--History
Robertson Hall
Religion Building
Steeples
Bushes
Quoins
Fairview campus

Further information on this record can be found at its source.