Description: |
The groundbreaking for Robertson Hall occurred on December 6, 1940, and the building opened on January 28, 1942. Originally constructed to house Butler Universitys College of Religion, the $250,000 Georgian style building was designed by the architectural firm of Burns and James. Established in 1924, the College of Religion first opened for classes in 1925, offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees. In 1939, based on the recommendations made to all seminaries in the United States by the American Association of Theological Schools, the undergraduate portion of the College was moved to the Department of Religion in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Additionally, the College of Religion became known as the School of Religion, although the names are sometimes used interchangeably, and it continued to offer graduate degrees. In 1958, the School of Religion incorporated as a separate entity known as the Christian Theological Seminary. When the organization moved to a new building in February 1966, the University purchased the building for $600,000 and in August 1966, the building was renamed Robertson Hall. The University believed the best use of the structure would be as an administration building, but at the time, there was a pressing need for additional student housing, particularly for women. The building was remodeled as a womens dormitory that could house up to 104 women, although only 92 women lived in the space during the first year. An article titled Robertson in Operation in the October 7, 1966, issue of The Butler Collegian, describes the newly remodeled space. After being completely renovated, the building was ready for occupancy this September. It is now housing the majority of independent women who have upperclass status. The lobby consists not only of a vestibule and switchboard, but a spacious living room overlooking a stone patio in the rear of the residence. The hallways, off to the left and right of the lobby, are wide and carpeted in either red or green. Each floor has a lounge. The basement is reserved for a recreation and meeting rooms. Robertson Hall also features a kitchenette and snack room done to resemble a French cafe. It is complete with numerous small round tables, black wrought-iron chairs, and a French scene painted on one wall. While there are rooms available for two or three girls, most of the coeds live in a large room equipped for six. Bunk beds were installed as well as private desks. Each room has a phone connected to the main switchboard. The girls must pay a nickel for each local call. The new residence hall also has a large and quite attractive library. The only complaints seem to be the new idea of having six girls in one room as compared to the two girls in a room at Schwitzer (p. 4). Robertson Hall was used a dormitory throughout the 1970s, and later became office space for faculty and staff. From 1996 to 1997, the building was renovated again, becoming a campus welcome center. |
---|---|
Source: |
http://palni.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/BldgsGrnds/id/1545 |
Collection: |
Butler University Buildings and Grounds Collection |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-EDU/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, 39.840918, -86.172363 39.840918 -86.172363 |
Subjects: |
Spires Sidewalks Trees Shrubs Butler University--Buildings College buildings Dormitories Architecture, Georgian Butler University--History Indianapolis (Ind.)--History Robertson Hall Religion Building Burns and James Steeples Bushes Quoins Fairview campus |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.