In the 1886 City Directory the building was a general store and by the 1890-91 directory J. J. Kasper had opened a grocery on the premises. William J. McBride also maintained a grocery in the building in the early 1900s. In 1910 Charles N. Kasper, nephew of J. J. Kasper bought the business from Mr. McBride. In 1930 Charles Kasper moved to Main Street. A Mr. Davis had a grocery store here in the 1930s and Mr. Joseph Siewalt takes over the grocery sometime before 1939 and continues at least through 1942. In 1947 the building is Judy's Food Market and in 1965 it is the Coleman Printing Company. In 1970 the Madison Township Trustee is headquartered here, but by the 1970s the city directories show James W. Powell in residence. Mr. Powell owned the building until early 2000. Paintings on the windows indicate the last business in the building was an antique shop.
Harry Lemen, photographer
River to Rail and Lemen Collection
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744
Further information on this record can be found at its source.