Charlestown, Indiana land use survey plat map dated 1 February 1941 signed by Myron Northem. This map shows the city of Charlestown, Indiana on 1 February 1941. In 1940 the United States government began purchasing land to the Southeast of Charlestown on the east side of Highway 62 for the purpose of building Indiana Ordnance Works to manufacture smokeless powder ordnance for World War II. The increase in population for this rural community created many trailer camps which are labeled on this map. The trailer camps are Locust Grove, Little Heaven, Patterson, Red Arrow, Johnson's Green Acres, Germaine, Model, Burkhead, Bueter, Haddox, Conaway, Dietrich, Sellers, Burns, Miller, Dena Rosa Carter, Midwest, and Green's. Other places labeled on the map include First Methodist Episcopal Church of Indiana, Baltimore and Ohio Southerwestern Railroad depot, Charlestown Cemetery, Residence Hotel, U.S. Mil. Res. (IOW), Charlestown school (formerly the County Court House), water tank, and the theater.
Clark County Collections
Charlestown-Clark County Public Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or holders of other rights such as publicity and/or privacy rights is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as works for hire copyright held by the party that commissioned the original work and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Charlestown, Clark County, Indiana
Land use surveys
Further information on this record can be found at its source.