Collection Order
<< < > >>

Charlestown, Indiana map 1900

Description: This is a plat map of Charlestown, Indiana in 1900 drawn by E.E. Martin.
Town of Charlestown, Ind. Plat of drawn by E.E. Martin1900Exhibit "C"[Corner of map missing] the 25th March, 1812, [missing] 40' and the variation of the [missing] East.[missing] is recorded in deed Book C. pages 347-8.[missing] , 1812, Nov. 4, 1813 & Aug. 1, 1816.Monroe St. is 30 fee wide. Spring St. is 40 ft. wide.Reynolds St. is 50 ft. wide. All other streets are except Morrow Ave & New St. 60 feet wide, except Short, which is 30 ft. wide.Alleys are all ten ft. wide, except the one on the S.E. town line.Oak St. is closed except between lots 345 & 346.Lots in Baker's addition are 60 feet front 200 ft. deep.Lots in the original Town lot are 80x200 feet.Lots in other additions are mostly of the same size as those in the original.Lot 293 is in some deeds numbered 390.Lots, 195, 81, 82, 83 & 84 belong to the town.Lot 331 is double width and extends back to Pleasant Run, and contains 22720 sq. ft.Lot 276 on some originals is part of Ross' addition.Lot 122 is a grave yard.Lot 195 on old records is called the "Town Pump lot."Lots 276, 338, 339, 340 and 341 are each intended to contain 13940 sq. ft.Lot 328 contains 14000 sq. ft.Lot 332 contains 14600 sq. ft.Lot 333 contains 15600 sq. ft.Lots 336, 327, 337, 334, & 335 each contain 18000 sq. ft.Lots 81, 82, 83 & 84 have had 20 ft. taken from their N.W. end for street improvements.The dotted line on the N.W. end of lots. nos. 237, 238, 239, & 240 is the line of said lots, and shows the width of Ball Alley between Jennings & Wash. Sts. (See original plat)The streets and alleys are laid out in the same directions as the grant lines.The survey was begun at the West corner of Main and Market Streets.H&T's survey begins at the East corner of lot 148.Morrow's addition, East of Level St. is colored Earth-color.Morrison's " " " " " " " Pink, or red,Morrow Ave. and New St. are 50 ft. wide.Alley in Morrow Addition is 12 feet wide.Lots 338 - 341 are 170 feet deep, with ten ft alley back of them.The original Town is shaded Earth color.Baker's addition, East of Level St. is shaded Blue.Taylor's addition, North of Thompson St. is shaded light blue.Garner's Addition is shaded black.Hester & Tilford's addition is shaded redRoss' addition in the South part is shaded light blue.McCampbell's addition, S.W. of Washington St. is shaded Green.Cemetery additions are shaded Green.Rail Road addition S.E. of original town is left plain white.[missing] subdivision of the Presbyterian Church property (which is [missing]The Town was named Charlestown, in honor of Charles Beggs.The first Court House was of logs. The jail was a few feet N.N.E. of the Court House.The Gallows & Whipping post were on the N.W. end of Lot 82. The market House was on lot 81. The 2nd jail was on lot 161. The old "Seminary" was on lot 374.The red dots along the R.R. shows the lines by actual measurement.The heavy red line shows the outline of the town.Indiana's first State governor, (Jonathan Jennings) is buried in 1st Cemetery lot, No. 122, The town hall was formerly the "Capitol" of the County. The Commissioners of Clark's or Illinois Grants at first held their sessions, or Courts in Louisville, Ky. The seat of justice was then transfered to Clarksville.B. & O.S.W. R.R. Depot [Baltimore & Ohio Southwest Railroad]On the 7th of April, 1801, the village of Springville was made the Capital. On the 9th of June 1802, Jeffersonville became the County Seat. On the 14th of December, 1818?? the COunty seat was removed to Charlestown, on account of the central location of said town. James McCampbell and Baszilla Baker donated the proceeds from the sale of 30 lots for the erection of County building. And on the 24th of Sept. 1878, the County Commissioners ordered the County Seat to be removed to Jeffersonville. The County buildings becoming the property of the town of Charlestown.Charlestown is in Grant No. 117, and was laid out in 1806 by John Beggs and John Hay, [missing] James McCampbell and Barzilla Baker.
Origin: 1900
Created By: Martin, E.E.
Source: http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15078coll17/id/11552
Collection: Clark County Collections
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/
Copyright: Charlestown-Clark County Public Library provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or holders of other rights such as publicity and/or privacy rights is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as works for hire copyright held by the party that commissioned the original work and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Geography: Charlestown, Clark County, Indiana
38.440206, -85.661015
Subjects: Charlestown (Ind.)
Maps
Plat maps

Further information on this record can be found at its source.