Island Park was established in 1887 and is the city's oldest park. The bridge in this picture was taken from one of the spans in a former Main Street bridge that was replaced in 1892. From 1917 until 1932 Island Park was the gathering place for the annual Chautauqua. The park was a community favorite for outings and was approachable only by foot once the bridge was constructed. (Previously, it was only accessible by boat or ferry.)
Elkhart Public Library
No Copyright - United States;
Elkhart County (Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.