Collection Order
<< < > >>

Christiana Creek dam

Description: This photograph shows the Christiana Creek Dam located near the 900 block of N. Main Street. The creek was named around 1824 when Baptist missionary Rev. Isaac McCoy and his wife came to the area. McCoy wanted to immortalize the wife he adored and so gave her name to the waterway. In 1929 George Crawford and John Huntsman constructed Elkhart's first dam across the creek in order to power their gristmill. In later years Elkhart founder Dr. Havilah Beardsley built his flour mill at the mouth of of Christiana Creek. This photograph was taken around 1905.
Source: http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/isl4/id/336
Collection: Elkhart Public Library
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/;
Copyright: No Copyright - United States;
Subjects: Elkhart County (Ind.)
Dams
Rivers

Further information on this record can be found at its source.