Manual training classes were first offered in Indianapolis in 1883 as a summer school class at the Indianapolis High School. The popularity of these classes, and the interest by public officials towards manual training education led to the construction of the Industrial Training School at 525 South Meridian Street in Indianapolis. Dedication ceremonies took place on 31 May 1895. The school was renamed Manual Training School in 1899, and Charles E. Emmerich Manual Training High School in 1916. Charles E. Emmerich was the first principal of the Industrial Training High School. On 7 June 1920 Bert H. Gadd, chairman of the Indianapolis Board of School Commissioners, laid the cornerstone for a wood frame addition to the high school seen here in this view. Also at the event were students, the school band, and a platoon of ROTC students. The addition was called the “South Building” and included an auditorium with stage and orchestra pit, a cafeteria, and a new gymnasium. A portion of the South Building collapsed while under construction in November 1920. Construction began again and the addition opened in spring 1922. Charles E. Emmerich Manual Training High School relocated to 2405 Madison Avenue in 1953. The facility on Meridian Street was renamed the Harry E. Wood Vocational Training School and operated until 1978. Indianapolis Christian Schools, Inc., purchased the building that year. The Brougher Insurance Group acquired the building in 1984.The South Building addition was razed in 1986.
The original nitrate negative was copied with funds provided by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission in 1990. This digital image was created from that copy. The copy prints and negatives are stored in Microfiche Number order. Interpositives are stored in PAN number order.
|Origin:||June 7, 1920|
Bretzman, Charles F.
Digital image2013 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Panoramic Photograph Images
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emmerich Manual High School (Indianapolis, Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.