Collection Order
<< < > >>

French Lick Springs Hotel, 1906

Description: The first hotel was built at French Lick Springs in 1840. The operation was a success because of the popularity of health spas at the time and rail transportation to the site. A fire in 1897 led to the purchase of the property in 1901 by a syndicate led by Thomas Taggart. The hotel was rebuilt and improved with an enlarged front wing faced with buff colored brick. In 1905 Taggart bought out his partners and made more improvements with wings added to the hotel, pavilions that sheltered the springs, a new bath building and convention hall, electricity and a new water system. This view taken in 1906 shows the front facade of the hotel with its veranda and guests milling about and the railroad track in front of the hotel. On the far left there is a large three-story wood frame building with a "Gymnasium" sign on the porch. This building does not appear in views taken by the photographer Charles Bretzman after 1906.
The original nitrate negative was copied with funds provided by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission in 1990. This digital image was created from that copy. The copy prints and negatives are stored in Microfiche Number order. Interpositives are stored in PAN number order.
Origin: 1906
Created By: Bretzman, Charles F.
Publisher: Digital image2012 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Collection: Panoramic Photograph Images
Copyright: This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact:
Geography: Indiana--Orange County--French Lick Springs
Subjects: French Lick Springs Hotel
Health resorts
Sulphur springs
Historic buildings
Railroad sidings
Railroad tracks

Further information on this record can be found at its source.