In 1923 the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks, Indianapolis Lodge Number 13, held cornerstone ceremonies for their new building located at North Meridian and St. Clair Streets. The sign indicates that the contractor was W.P. Jungclaus and the architect was Adolph Scherrer. The view looks south on Meridian Street towards Monument Circle. Directly to the south of the Elks Lodge are automobile dealers, Olin Wilmeth Company a Ford dealer, and Wilbur Johnson Company a dealer for the Hupmobile. The B.P.O.E. or "Elks" is an American fraternal order and social club that was founded in 1868. The charitable organization serves people and communities through its benevolent programs. The Elks Lodge building no longer exists.
The original nitrate negative was copied with funds provided by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission in 1990. This digital image was created from that copy. The copy prints and negatives are stored in Microfiche Number order. Interpositives are stored in PAN number order.
|Origin:||October 14, 1923|
Bretzman, Charles F.
Digital image2013 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Panoramic Photograph Images
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elks (Fraternal order)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.