Group portrait of Company B of the U.S. Army Training Detachment No. 4, lieutenant Orrin W. Letson commanding. During WWI, the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce was focused on the instruction of young people for military service and in 1918 they contracted with the War Department to organize a training school for drafted men from Indiana and surrounding areas, a relationship without precedent. The school operated in two-month training periods, and classes were held at various institutions such as the State School for the Deaf, State School for the Blind, several high schools, and the Coliseum; a hotel was taken over for their housing. In addition to military training, the young men were instructed on how to repair wrecked automobiles and trained in other vocations such as carpentry and radiography.
Digital image 2015 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Panoramic Photograph Images
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
World War, 1914-1918
Further information on this record can be found at its source.