Group portrait of students and staff of Manual Training High School, located at 525 South Meridian Street in Indianapolis, in June 1910. Principal Charles Emmerich is pictured standing at the center of the photo. Emmerich was the first principal of the school, which opened in 1895 and was originally called The Industrial Training School, and this photo commemorates his retirement in 1910. Newspapers at the time reported that alumni returned to the school to bid their former principal farewell on the 17th. Perhaps the photo was misdated and taken on this day. In honor of his retirement, the school was decorated in red and white, the school colors, with palms brought in and red shades put on all the lights. An oil painting was also commissioned for the occasion. The following year, the school was renamed Charles E. Emmerich Manual Training High School in his honor.
Bretzman, C. F.
Digital image 2015 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Panoramic Photograph Images
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emmerich Manual High School (Indianapolis, Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.