1928 flood, Corydon, Indiana, Poplar and Market Streets

Description: This photograph from May 1928 shows the intersection of Poplar Street and Market Street (now Capitol Avenue) in Corydon, Indiana as water filled the streets from a flood of nearby Little Indian Creek. The view is east down Poplar Street. The church seen midway down Poplar Street was constructed in 1837 as a United Brethren Church and was originally located on Mulberry Street. In 1853, the Christian Church congregation purchased the building and property and used the building until 1903. At this time, the Christian congregation decided to build a new church at the Mulberry Street location, and the older church building was moved to the Poplar Street site seen in this photograph, where it was used by a different congregation. The church on Poplar Street was razed in 1947. The large building on the corner facing Market Street (Capitol Avenue) was at the time of this photograph the George B. Wahl Hardware Store. During the late 20th century it housed Alstott’s Hardware.
Origin: 1928-05-17
Created By: Friedley, H. Jackson (1866-1965)
Source: http://cdm17251.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p17251coll30/id/5
Collection: Fires and Floods
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/
Copyright: This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: genealogy@hcpl.lib.in.us
Geography: Corydon, Harrison County, Indiana
Subjects: Floods
churches
commercial buildings
hardware stores

Further information on this record can be found at its source.