Olive Griffin (1876-1958) stands by her lending library that she conducted in the millinery department in Griffin's Store in downtown Corydon, Indiana. Reading was an important part of life for all the Griffins. The collection of books in the Griffin store served as a forerunner of the Corydon Public Library, which Olive and other members of the Griffin family helped to develop. The Griffin's dry goods store was established on the square in Corydon in 1897 and continuously operated in this location until its closure in 1983. Olive, having trained in the millinery field, had opened her own shop in Corydon in 1896. The following year she moved her business into the south end of the Griffin store, where she specialized in making ladies' dress hats for over sixty years.
Griffin Family Photos
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Corydon, Harrison County, Indiana
clothing and dress--19th century
Further information on this record can be found at its source.