Atherton Union in the snow

Description: Designed by the architectural firm of McGuire and Shook, this building was originally named the John Whistler Atherton Center, in honor of John W. Atherton (Class of 1900), who served for 26 years as the secretary-treasurer for the University. Constructed at a cost of $1,125,000, the groundbreaking ceremony for the building was held on May 3, 1948, and it opened on January 3, 1950, but it was not until June 14, 1950, that the building was officially dedicated. When it first opened, the building housed a cafeteria, the Campus Club (or C Club), a bookstore, a room with billiard and ping pong tables, a lounge, a barber shop, offices for student activities and clubs such as The Butler Collegian and The Drift, as well as the Alumni Office, a faculty lounge, and other amenities. However, four decades later, the administration of the University felt the building was not being used to its true potential. The building was updated, expanded, and renamed Atherton Union.
Source: http://palni.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/BldgsGrnds/id/1744
Collection: Butler University Buildings and Grounds Collection
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-EDU/1.0/
Copyright: In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted
Geography: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, 39.837267, -86.171581
39.837267
-86.171581
Subjects: Student unions
McGuire & Shook, Architects
Snow
Stairs
Streets
Trees
Butler University--Buildings
College buildings
Butler University--History
Indianapolis (Ind.)--History
Clarendon Road
John Whistler Atherton Center
Atherton Union
Fairview campus

Further information on this record can be found at its source.