Description: |
People walk along the sidewalks on the east side of Atherton Union, while cars are parked out front, along Clarendon Road. Designed by the architectural firm of McGuire and Shook, this building was originally named the John Whistler Atherton Center, in honor of John W. Atherton (Class of 1900), who served for 26 years as the secretary-treasurer for the University. Constructed at a cost of $1,125,000, the groundbreaking ceremony for the building was held on May 3, 1948, and it opened on January 3, 1950, but it was not until June 14, 1950, that the building was officially dedicated. When it first opened, the building housed a cafeteria, the Campus Club (or C Club), a bookstore, a room with billiard and ping pong tables, a lounge, a barber shop, offices for student activities and clubs such as The Butler Collegian and The Drift, as well as the Alumni Office, a faculty lounge, and other amenities. In 1991, Clarendon Road was removed from the South Mall and landscaping was added in 1992. The change was made in an effort to make the space pedestrian friendly, increase the aesthetics of campus, and to encourage socialization within the space. |
---|---|
Source: |
http://palni.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/BldgsGrnds/id/1739 |
Collection: |
Butler University Buildings and Grounds Collection |
Rights: | https://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-EDU/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, 39.837825, -86.171385 39.837825 -86.171385 |
Subjects: |
Automobiles Parking lots Streets Student unions McGuire & Shook, Architects Sidewalks Benches Shrubs Trees Butler University--Buildings College buildings Butler University--History Indianapolis (Ind.)--History Clarendon Road John Whistler Atherton Center Atherton Union People Bushes Trash cans Fairview campus |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.