Description: |
People are working on the roof of Jordan Hall. Construction began in September 1926. When it opened, Jordan Hall contained 54 classrooms, a science lecture hall that could seat 240 students, as well as other lecture halls for 150 to 200 students. In the basement, beneath the science lecture hall, was a space referred to as the journalism laboratory, which was equipped with 35 typewriters, two United Press printers, a linotype machine, and other newspaper publishing equipment. The majority of the basement in the west wing contained the library stacks, while a reading room was available on the first floor, directly above the stacks. The central portion of the building housed the science laboratories, while the administration offices were located in the east wing. The Universitys museum was located in the east wing basement. The museum included collections of natural objects such as shells, minerals, fossils, fish preserved in alcohol, marine animals, reptiles, bird and mammal skins, insects, beetles, butterflies, and moths. Additionally, the Universitys collections included clothing and other material objects from various countries, which were donated by alumni and missionaries. |
---|---|
Created By: |
Jones, W. Frank |
Source: |
http://palni.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/BldgsGrnds/id/1050 |
Collection: |
Butler University Buildings and Grounds Collection |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-EDU/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, 39.837846, -86.171592 39.837846 -86.171592 |
Subjects: |
Construction projects Butler University--Buildings College buildings Trees Butler University--Libraries Academic libraries Butler University--Museums College museums Natural history museums Butler University--History Indianapolis (Ind.)--History Arthur Jordan Memorial Hall Jordan Hall Fairview campus |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.