Description: |
ijtstnnj nf tlj?XD1AXA led the central states in establishing free schools to all people. In 1822 the first schoolbuilding in Richland township stood on the site of C. H. McXeely s home. William Rawlins was theteacher, and the term was only three months long. An early log school stood just behind W. B.Harris printing office. In 1855 a frame building of two rooms was erected and was used for almosttwenty years. It is still standing. It is the first house west of the Christian church on Sales street. MajorHenry F. Perry was one of the first teachers there. In 1872 a larger building was erected on Temperancestreet, where the home of W. B. Harris, Jr. stands, but it was not large enough to accommodate the primary department, which was housed in the small brick building where the telephone exchange is located.In 1915 the consolidated school system was established in Indiana and a stone structure was erected atEllettsville. This new system did away with the town school and abolished many of the country schools ofthe township. The building, being the old part of the present building, was at that time one of the bestbuildings and best equipped in this section of the state. In 1915 the school became Richland townshipschool but carried the name of Ellettsville Public School. It was during the administration of Trustee D.Prank Burk that the reorganization took place. From 1915 to 1924 many more country schools were abolished, and a steady increase of enrollments was made. During the years of 1924 and 1925 classes were heldin the basement, and the assembly was so filled with seats that there was scarcely any room for aisles. Theofficials of the school realized that improvements were necessary and therefore began to plan for a newbuilding. Trustee 0. F. Moore, with the cooperation of Principal E..H. Mangel, secured the best suitableplans to be had with the limited amount of money available. The school year of 1925 and 1926, with thenew building and equipment and a force of competent teachers, started on a new era of progress in bothscholarship and activities. Since this time the school has been greatly improved in various wrays, and in1941 a permanent commission was granted by the State Board of Education.The new gymnasium was begun in 1934 and was finished in 1936.In 1940 several new improvements were made, including the construction of the new dressing rooms,balcony in the new gym, and the new home economics rooms. Also new lockers for the ball boys were purchased, and several hundred new books were added to the library.In 1941 several hundred dollars worth of books was again purchased for the library, and new furnitureand equipment were purchased for the office. These improvements make our school one of the finest andbest equipped in this district.The school now has eighteen teachers, seven in the first six grades, and eleven in the upper six grades.Some of the courses given in the high school are commercial, vocational and academic. |
---|---|
Source: |
http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-ellettsvil/id/566 |
Collection: |
Ellettsville High School |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.