The southeast corner of Main & Jackson is best known as the site of Hotel Bucklen, although several hotels preceded it. Clifton House, seen in the first photo, was built in 1863 and later purchased by Herbert Bucklen, who oversaw major expansion and reopened it as Hotel Bucklen in 1889. The building was renovated in 1958 and became Clifton House once again. A 1969 fire closed the hotel and by 1973 the building had been torn down. The Compass Wealth Advisors building now occupies the site.
Elkhart Public Library
No Copyright - United States;
Elkhart County (Ind.)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.