Description: |
This image features a view of Chestnut Street in Corydon, Indiana, around the turn of the century. The view is to the west, and the prominent building on the left is the Red Mill, which stood on the southeast corner of Chestnut and Mulberrry Streets from 1834 to 1926. The Red Mill served as one of the primary mills in Corydon throughout its history. Initially organized by a stock company comprised of various individuals, the mill operated under a number of names over the years including S. G. Mill, J. S. Moreman Milling Co., Corydon Mill, and the Watson Milling Co. However, it was consistently known as the Red Mill to most locals due to its exterior paint color. During the Civil War, the mill narrowly escaped destruction when Confederate troops under John Hunt Morgan raided the town of Corydon in July 1863. The Confederates reportedly threatened to burn the mill, and owner Harvey M. Applegate paid Morgan $800 to let it stand. In 1890, the J. S. Moreman Milling Co. bought the mill and revamped the operation with new, modern equipment that increased production to 90 barrels of flour per day. Featured brands were Ladies White, Gaslight, and Gold Medal. In 1903, the Red Mill changed hands again, and new owner E. L. Nick Pitman remodeled and enlarged the building. By 1910, the Watson Milling Co. ran the facility, and in 1915 Ed OConnor purchased the Red Mill and operated it for the next ten years. In 1926, L. A. Reasor purchased the mill property. Reasor razed the old mill building and constructed a garage and filling station on the site. |
---|---|
Origin: | ca. 1915 |
Source: |
http://cdm17251.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p17251coll20/id/3 |
Collection: |
Mills of Harrison County |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: genealogy@hcpl.lib.in.us |
Geography: |
Corydon, Harrison County, Indiana |
Subjects: |
Mills |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.