Description: |
The Marion County Seminary, a school for young men, opened on September 1, 1834 facing New York Street on the southwest corner of Square 25 of Ralstons original plan for Indianapolis. The lower floor also doubled as a meeting place for several churches, including the Second Presbyterian Church which met there shortly after organization in November 1838. After the seminary closed in 1853, it was used as the first Indianapolis High School from 1853 until 1859. The structure was demolished in the summer of 1860.The house seen to the left is the Oliver Tousey house on North Meridian Street, designed by Francis Costigan in 1859.[See image ia-0001-c003-0006 for an 1880s drawing based on this photograph.] |
---|---|
Origin: | 1860, circa |
Source: |
http://indianaalbum.pastperfectonline.com/photo/23E805E3-4241-4302-887A-661169573544 |
Collection: |
Indiana Album |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/ |
Geography: |
East New York Street, Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States 39.771513,-86.157471 |
Subjects: |
Joan Hostetler Collection Schools Universities & colleges University Square (Indianapolis, Ind.) University Park (Indianapolis, Ind.) Indianapolis (Ind.) Marion County (Ind.) |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.