Description: |
A person sits on the floor in a hallway in Lilly Hall. On August 23, 1951, Butler University announced a merger with the Jordan College of Music, creating the Jordan College of Music of Butler University. Starting with the fall semester of the 1951-1952 school year, the Jordan College of Music (JCM) operated as part of the University with classes being held at several existing JCM buildings throughout Indianapolis. Plans to build a dedicated building for the College on the Universitys Fairview campus became a reality in April 1961, when work began on Lilly Hall. The construction was made possible by a $1 million gift from Lilly Endowment, Inc. and a $500,000 grant from the Arthur Jordan Foundation. Opening in September 1962, the $1.5 million building was named Lilly Hall in honor of the Lilly family of Indianapolis, and was officially dedicated on December 9, 1962. Designed by the architectural firm McGuire and Shook, Compton, Richey and Associates, the building originally featured a central courtyard with an outdoor stage, 40 individual practice rooms, 10 classrooms, 4 dance studios, 6 organ practice rooms, 3 group rehearsal rooms, 30 studio-offices, and a large rehearsal hall, among other features. While the exterior of the building featured limestone, the interior walls were made of concrete blocks. |
---|---|
Source: |
http://palni.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/BldgsGrnds/id/2259 |
Collection: |
Butler University Buildings and Grounds Collection |
Rights: | https://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-EDU/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, 39.840125, -86.170655 39.840125 -86.170655 |
Subjects: |
Corridors Butler University--Buildings College buildings Butler University--History Indianapolis (Ind.)--History People Hallways Lilly Hall McGuire and Shook, Compton, Richey and Associates Fairview campus |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.