Three people stand outside an entrance to Lilly Hall

Description: Three people stand outside a doorway to Lilly Hall. On August 23, 1951, Butler University announced a merger with the Jordan College of Music, creating the Jordan College of Music of Butler University. Starting with the fall semester of the 1951-1952 school year, the Jordan College of Music (JCM) operated as part of the University with classes being held at several existing JCM buildings throughout Indianapolis. Plans to build a dedicated building for the College on the Universitys Fairview campus became a reality in April 1961, when work began on Lilly Hall. The construction was made possible by a $1 million gift from Lilly Endowment, Inc. and a $500,000 grant from the Arthur Jordan Foundation. Located at the northeast corner of the intersection of 46th Street and Clarendon Road, Lilly Hall opened in September 1962, and was officially dedicated on December 9, 1962. At the time, JCM offered programs in dance, music, drama, television, and radio. JCM was renamed the Jordan College of Fine Arts (JCFA) in 1979 and the name was changed again in 2012 to the Jordan College of the Arts (JCA).
Source: http://palni.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/BldgsGrnds/id/2234
Collection: Butler University Buildings and Grounds Collection
Rights: https://rightsstatements.org/page/InC-EDU/1.0/
Copyright: In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted
Geography: Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, 39.839857, -86.170935
39.839857
-86.170935
Subjects: Signs and signboards
Doorways
Doors
Exterior lighting
Butler University--Buildings
College buildings
Butler University--History
Indianapolis (Ind.)--History
People
Lilly Hall
Fairview campus

Further information on this record can be found at its source.