Description: |
Vehicles are parked in a lot on the west side of Atherton Union. Originally named the John Whistler Atherton Center, in honor of John W. Atherton (Class of 1900), who served for 26 years as the secretary-treasurer for the University, the building opened on January 3, 1950. However, four decades later, the administration of the University felt the building was not being used to its true potential. The building was updated and a 24,000 square-foot addition was constructed at the southern end of the building, which is shown in this photograph, and the building was renamed Atherton Union. To the south of the structure, people walk along the sidewalks and grass and cars are parked along Hampton Drive. In the distance, portions of the Sigma Chi House and Ross Hall are visible. |
---|---|
Origin: | 1994-08 |
Source: |
http://palni.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/BldgsGrnds/id/1822 |
Collection: |
Butler University Buildings and Grounds Collection |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-EDU/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
In Copyright - Educational Use Permitted |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States, 39.837088, -86.172614 39.837088 -86.172614 |
Subjects: |
Student unions Automobiles Trucks Parking lots Lampposts Signs and signboards Trees Shrubs Sidewalks Streets Refuse collection vehicles Dormitories Greek letter societies--Dwellings Sigma Chi Fraternity--Rho Chapter (Butler University)--Dwellings Butler University--Buildings College buildings Butler University--History Indianapolis (Ind.)--History John Whistler Atherton Center Atherton Union People Garbage trucks Hampton Drive Bushes Ross Residence Hall Mens Residence Hall Fairview campus |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.