Ellettsville High School, Llamarada, 1938, Page 5

Description: LLAMARADAing, was at the time one of the best buildings and best equipped inthis section of the state. In 1915 the school became Richland Township school but carried the name of Ellettsville Public School. It wasduring the administration of the Trustee D. Frank Burk that the reorganization took place. From 1915 to 1924 many more countryschools were abolished, and a steady increase of enrollments was made.During the years of 1924 and 1925 classes were held in the basement,and the assembly was so filled with seats that there was scarcely anyroom for aisles. The officials of the school realized that improvements were necessary and therefore began to plan for a new building.Trustee O. F. Moore, with the cooperation of Principal E. H. Mangel,secured the best suitable plans and constructions to be had with thelimited amount of money available. The school year of 1925 and1926, with the new building and equipment and a force of competentteachers, started on a new era of progress in both activities and scholarship. Since this time the school has been greatly improved in various ways, and in 1930 a permanent commission was granted by theState Board of Education.The new gymnasium was begun in 1934 and was finished in 1936.The school now has fifteen teachers, six in the first six gradesand nine in the upper six grades. Some of the courses given in thehigh school are commercial, vocational, and academic. With the capable leader, Mr. H. C. Weathers as principal, and the likable trustee,Mr. C. D. Freeman, our school is becoming better and better as theyears pass. The class of 1938 wishes the school many more happyand prosperous years.
Source: http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-ellettsvil/id/347
Collection: Ellettsville High School

Further information on this record can be found at its source.