Description: |
Ellettsville School 1884 - 1964The Big BrickThe Second BuildingEllettsville and Richland Townships first schoolswere of hand-hewn logs, as were all such buildingsin this area in the pioneer period. Then in 1855a two-room house of weatherboarding was builtat the corner of Sales and Oak Streets and wasused until 1872 when, under the supervision ofDr. James Harris, trustee, a large two-story brickbuilding was erected on Temperance Street at acost of $7,000. Because of the crowded conditioneven in those days, a small frame structure wasbuilt next door for the primary department.Girls with pigtails and boys in short pantswalked to school carrying tin dinner pails andslates. Here they kept warm by pot-bellied, wood-burning stoves, sat in double seats with seat-mates, learned to read from McGuffeys Readersand cipher from Rays Arithmetics, sang the multiplication tables, and told what they had learnedfrom recitation benches. For variety and recreation they vied for the privilege of carrying waterin a brass-bound cedar bucket from the JohnsonSharp spring or later from a nearby pump andthen drank the water from a home-made gourddipper.This education was on an elementary level until1884 when a one-year high school course wasadded, and in 1885 three young women and twoyoung men became the first alumni of EllettsvilleHigh School. The curriculum was steadily- expanded until the school had a four-year academic courseby the turn of the century.After forty years of fostering education, theBig Brick was condemned by the state fire marshal. Then, in 1915, during the trusteeship ofD. F. Burk, a limestone structure was erected alsoon Temperance Street but at the south edge oftown. It was the latest thing, having nine classrooms, central heating, and electric lights. Stillit had no gymnasium; so athletic events, whichmeant basketball games, were played out of doorson the playground or, a little later, in the stonebuilding at the end of Sales Street known todayas the Hardesty Feed Store. The consolidating ofschools within the township in 1925 resulted inan immediate need for larger and more adequatefacilities; so a new addition consisting of a combination gymnasium and auditorium, office, assembly, and seven classrooms was built duringthe tenure of Trustee Frank Moore. At this timevocational subjects were added to the curriculum.In 1935 as the school population continued togrow and changing times brought a need for improved facilities, a second addition with a gymnasium, shop, and cafeteria for a hot-lunch program was built by Trustee Charley D. Freeman. |
---|---|
Source: |
http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-edgewood/id/9 |
Collection: |
Edgewood High School |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.