Edgewood High School, El Corral, 1965, Page 7

Description: Stinesville School 1905 — 1964Bean Blossom Township citizens from the earliestdays were eager for their children to have theadvantages of the best education they could afford; thus the first settlers constructed a schoolhouse almost as soon as they had their cabinsbuilt and their land cleared. The first four schoolswere of logs, the free, plentiful material at hand.The first, started in 1838, was south of Mt. Tabor;and the second, organized in the thirties, wasnear the Liberty Church.Most of the Stinesville children attended theschool south of Mt. Tabor until one was builtin the town in 1870. It was used until 1880 whenit burned; then another building was erected onthe same site and was in use for more than twentyyears.In 1903 a two-story, four-rocm building of rock-face limestone was built at the north edge oftown by Trustee William H. Brown, and by 1906it was enlarged with additional classrooms by Trustee Lew McCown. Up to this time the educationalprogram had extended only through the eightgrades but during that 1905-1906 school term thefirst high school course was offered to students,making it possible fcr them to get a three-year certificate by 1908. Then in 1909 the fourth yearwas added and the school was granted a commission. That year four boys and one girl becameStinesville High Schools first alumni. As was customary in those times, to receive their diplomas theyhad to organize, write, and deliver without notesa long commencement address. In 1927 TrusteeWinzor Chambers expanded the building to include a gymnasium, assembly, office, and additional classrooms to a total of fifteen.On the night of March 14, 1935 this buildingcaught fire and burned to the ground, but withinthree days time, school resumed in vacant storebuildings, the Baptist Church, and a vacant residence. After two and a half years and much hardwork, sacrifice, and good planning a new limestone building on the site of the old was ready toreceive students by September 9, 1937. Subsequently a new gymnasium was completed in thefall of 1938, and the entire school plant wasdedicated on November 4 of that year.The school curriculum had expanded graduallyto include vocational subjects. In 1941 a hot-lunchprogram was established, and in 1952 improvements, including the construction of a stage, wereadded. In 1954 six acres of land were purchasedby the Stinesville Parent-Teacher Association toexpand recreational facilities fcr the students. Theseincluded a ball diamond and a larger playground.In 1955 this ground was the site of the StinesvilleCentennial.
Source: http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-edgewood/id/10
Collection: Edgewood High School

Further information on this record can be found at its source.