Description: |
THE early history of the Bloomington High School is some-what hazy. The present historian does not have the data and documents at hand to verify any of the statements herein made concerning this institution. Like many another historian, this writer will draw upon tradition and memory for much of the matter here presented.There undoubtedly was a time when Bloomington did not have a public high school. Although the system of free schools and public education was vouchsafed to the children of Indiana by the famous Ordinance of 1787, it nevertheless required time and civiliza-tion to evolve the high school. So it seems safe to assert that Bloomington did not have a high school until some time during the sixties of the last century.At the corner of College Avenue and Seventh Street, stands a brick residence once known as The Young Ladies Seminary. This institution was under the management of Professor Elipholet Cole.He was a successful and progressive teacher. It would seem that under his direction and with the sanction and support of the citizens of the city, this Seminary underwent a transformation. It became a high school and both the girls and the boys of Bloomington enjoyed its privileges. Prof. Cole was followed by Prof. George W. Lee, who continued the evolution of the high school until 1872.A second transformation occurred in 1873-74. At this time the present so-called Central School was a new building, and what was known as the Preparatory Department of the University and the Bloomington High School was organized, under the direction of Walter R. Houghton. This institution was unique. It had a course two years in length. Its first commencement was held in 1874. Its work was strenuous. A good many middle-aged men and women now live in this community, who could tell the youngsters of today that graduation from “Prep’ was an honor won only after stead and persistent effort.This system ran along until 1885, when the Preparatory Depart-ment of the University was separated from the Bloomington High School. The high school continued its work in the Central Building under the management of John W. Carr. The two years’ course was still in use. It had to compete with the Preparatory school of the University and in consequence was small. Its next Principal was Zwingli McCaughan. He was followed by Miss Grace Woodburn.About this time (1890), the Preparatory School of the University was discontinued and the course of the high school was lengthened a year. Three years was thought a long time to spend in high school.In the year of 1884, J. K. Beck became Principal of the school. During his time another year was added to the course. The old Col-lege building was bought and the school was transferred from theCentral Building to its present home.In May, 1899, the building was burned. The school continued itswork in the College Amenue M. E. Church. No time was lost. Thefire occurred on Friday morning and on Monday morning of thenext week the school was going on with its regular work, in thechurch. By autumn the building was reconstructed and the schoolwas again in its present quarters.Prof. H. H. Clark become principal in September, 1902. He was succeeded in 1907 by Prof. Earl E. Ramsey, the present incumbent.The school has had a great history. It has a greater future!8 |
---|---|
Source: |
http://cdm17129.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/hs-bloom/id/945 |
Collection: |
Bloomington High School |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.