Indianapolis Glove Company Factory, 420 North Park Avenue (Indianapolis, Ind.) c. 1968

Indianapolis Glove Company Factory

Description: 1887 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/369 <br> 1898 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/495 <br> 1915 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/1959 <br> Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission: https://tinyurl.com/yhkrc58f <br>
420 North Park Avenue
Indianapolis
Indiana
Marion
Center
Lockerbie Square Historic District
This factory was constructed in 1910 as the home of the Indianapolis Glove Company. It was built on the site of a commercial building and a house. The house and open land were part of the site of the earlier St. Vincents infirmary. This factory is an historic building in Lockerbie Square. Its construction represents the beginning of the decline of the area as residential in the early twentieth century. Other industrial buildings were constructed on all streets around the original Lockerbie Square. The factory is constructed of brick with steel frame construction. The Indianapolis Glove Company was founded in 1904 by Charles F. Zwick and Brodehurst Elsey and originally was located in the Century Building at Pennsylvania and Georgia Streets. The original 1910 character of the factory survives unaltered and was respected in the 1923 extension to the south and the addition of the sixth story in 1933. In 1969 the company was ranked third in the national glove-making industry, producing more than 600 kinds of gloves for nearly every industrial work situation. The company vacated its original building in 1982. On April 5, 1982 the rehabilitation of the factory and grounds was announced. Sixty-two condominium units were created in the space of the factory, renamed the Lockerbie Glove Company Condominiums. Renovation was completed in 1984. The architectural firm of Archonics designed the condominiums.
Origin: c. 1968
Created By: Indiana Landmarks
Contributor(s): Funding provided by an Institute of Museum and Library Services grant, administered by the Indiana State Library
Source: http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/IHAS/id/7077
Collection: Indiana Landmarks Historic Architecture Collection
Rights: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
Copyright: Any copies made from materials in the Indiana Landmarks Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indiana Landmarks, 800-450-4534.
Subjects: DETERIORATION
HISTORIC DISTRICTS
HOUSES
NEIGHBORHOODS

Further information on this record can be found at its source.