Description: |
1887 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/369 <br> 1898 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/486 <br> 1915 Sanborn Map: http://ulib.iupuidigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/SanbornJP2/id/2018 303 - 333 North College Avenue Indianapolis Indiana Marion Center Lockerbie Square Historic District Mechanics Laundry <br>303-333 North College Avenue (formerly Noble Street)<br>c. 1950 and 1964 <br>The Mechanics Laundry plant occupies the entire area from College to Fulton and New York to Vermont Streets, as well as a port ion of the block between Davidson and Fulton. Mechanics Laundry was founded by Lee Lorton, who moved his Overall Cleaning Company in 1929 into an old bakery building at the southwest corner of Fulton and Vermont Streets. The business later became Mechanics Laundry and was incorporated in 1941, after which the firm expanded by constructing buildings on College Avenue. The original College Avenue portion appears to be that section with the arched roof and parapet, which was built between 1941 and 1954. Portions to the north and south were built between 1954 and 1969. The building on College Avenue displaced seven double residences, a shop-residence, and fifteen houses. <br> -From Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission, Lockerbie Square Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1987 |
---|---|
Origin: | c. 1968 |
Created By: |
Indiana Landmarks |
Contributor(s): |
Funding provided by an Institute of Museum and Library Services grant, administered by the Indiana State Library |
Source: |
http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/IHAS/id/7076 |
Collection: |
Indiana Landmarks Historic Architecture Collection |
Rights: | https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ |
Copyright: |
Any copies made from materials in the Indiana Landmarks Collection may be protected by U.S. Copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, public display, and certain other uses of protected works. No further transmission or distribution of this material is allowed without the written consent of Indiana Landmarks, 800-450-4534. |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.