Description: |
On slide mount: 540 N College (CA), DLB/ IHPC, 1990 Yes St. Josephs Catholic Church540 N. College Avenue1879-80D. A. Bohlen, ArchitectSt. Josephs was established in 1873 by the Reverend Father Joseph Petit, a native of France, as the fourth Catholic parish in Indianapolis. That same year, a small, two-story structure - including a chapel, living quarters, and a school - was built on East Vermont Street, near Park. In 1879, Bishop Chatard wanted to use the site to establish a hospital to be conducted by the Sisters of Charity. He, therefore, urged the congregation to seek a new site. The cornerstone of the new building at College and North was laid on July 20, 1879, and the building was dedicated on July 4, 1880. Interior adornments were added at later dates, including three altars in 1882 and five large frescoes painted by Giovanni G. Gioscio, an Italian immigrant. Actually oil paintings on canvases, the frescoes measured approximately 20 by 20 feet and depicted scenes from the lives of Christ and St. Joseph.It was under the leadership of Rev. Herman Alerding that the new St. Josephs Church was constructed. He was associated with the parish from 1873 until 1900, when he was appointed Bishop of the Ft. Wayne Diocese. Msgr. Francis B. Dowd served the parish for the longest period of time - from 1900 until his death in 1942. Because of a declining congregation due to the changing neighborhood character and the establishment of four newer parishes, the Diocese decided to dissolve the parish and the last Mass was held here on June 26, 1949.The church is cruciform in plan with cross gables over the nave. transept, and five-sided aspe. The influence of the Gothic style is marked in the general form of the church; in the repeated use of the pointed-arch form in the main entrance, winnows, and recessed bays; and in the buttresses that articulate the facade. The central bell tower of the main facade once was crown by a 135-foot-tall spire (removed in 1950), which further emphasized the Gothic character of the building. The brickwork is accented by a limestone foundation and the stone trim of the main entrance, window sills, and buttress caps. Also notable are the intricately detailed painted glass windows that occur in vertical bands in the nave, and the repeated use of the quatrefoil motif.Chatham-Arch Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1982 church |
---|---|
Origin: | 1990 |
Source: |
http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/HT/id/1209 |
Collection: |
Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission Image Collection |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
In Copyright |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/4259418/, 39.76838, -86.15804 |
Subjects: |
Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis Built environment Historic districts Bohlen, Dietrich A., 1827-1890 Petit, Joseph Alerding, Herman Dowd, Francis B. Gothic Revival brick stone towers arches rustication lintels buttresses bays lintels |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.