Description: |
On slide mount: St. Josephs Hall (CA), 617 E North St. Yes Former St. Josephs Hall(Hispano-American Center)615-617 E. North Street1892Under the leadership of Rev. Herman Alerding, St. Josephs parish erected this building in 1892. (This building is not to be confused with the former St. Josephs Academy to the south of the church (now demolished), which was built in 1881.) It had four spacious schoolrooms for boys on the ground floor and a large hall on the second floor equipped for the meetings and activities of the parish societies. In later years, the hall was converted to a gymnasium.The main facade of this three-story brick building is divided into three bays with the side bays featuring paired windows. Stone accents include: the roughly finished foundation, the window sills and lintels (with the exception of the third floors arched windows), the pediment with its carved inscription, and the details of the the entranceway arch - the carved imposts, the keystone with cross, and the top molding of the archivolt. Also of note is the fine molded brick ornament under the second floor windows, the brick corralling at the cornice line, and the stained glass transoms of the first floor windows.Chatham-Arch Historic Area Preservation Plan, 1982 parish halls |
---|---|
Origin: | 1979-09 |
Source: |
http://iuidigital.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/HT/id/1180 |
Collection: |
Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission Image Collection |
Rights: | http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/ |
Copyright: |
In Copyright |
Geography: |
Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States, http://sws.geonames.org/4259418/, 39.76838, -86.15804 |
Subjects: |
Architecture--Indiana--Indianapolis Built environment Historic districts Alerding, Herman Romanesque Revival brick stone parapets pediments lintels stringcourses arches keystones |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.