The "Tom Greene" was built in 1923 and was owned by the Greene Line of Cincinnati. The "Tom Greene" was in the Cincinnati-Louisville trade until 1947. She was later made into a landing boat and offices. Gordon C. Greene named his boat after his son, Captain Tom Greene. There was also a boat on the river named the "Gordon C. Greene" and the "Chris Greene" was the namesake of another son, Captain Chris B. Greene. Not to be outdone by the men of the family, Mary B. Greene, wife and mother of the above, earned her pilot's license in 1896 and commanded several boats in her own right. When Captain Tom Greene, who was responsible for bringing the "Delta Queen" to the Ohio River, died unexpectedly, his wife, Letha Greene, took over as president of the Delta Queen Steamboat Company and proved to be a singular executive for the company. Photograph taken circa 1927
Harry Lemen, photographer
River to Rail and Lemen Collection
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main St., Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744.
Further information on this record can be found at its source.