Description: |
The building is in the 1886 Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps and it is listed as a saloon. The 1887 city directory lists the building as a saloon run by Julius Schmidt with his residence above. Evidently, the building was used for this purpose until somewhere around the early 1920s when Charles Lemen had his monument business in the building. The monument business was moved to Mulberry Street in the late 1920s or early 1930s and the McCauley family moved a candy store into the building. They remained there, running the candy business on the ground floor and living in the residence above, until sometime in the early 1960s when Shorts Xpert TV Service moved in. It later served as a variety store and a business office. |
---|---|
Origin: | 1936 |
Created By: |
Harry Lemen, photographer |
Source: |
http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4038coll5/id/177 |
Collection: |
River to Rail and Lemen Collection |
Copyright: |
Permission to reproduce this image for other than personal use must be requested from the Director of the Madison-Jefferson County Public Library. Please contact at 420 W. Main Street Madison, IN 47250 (812) 265-2744 |
Geography: |
Indiana-Jefferson County-Madison |
Subjects: |
Business enterprises Monuments |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.