Description: |
Huntington County Courthouse. Building 1858. Cost twenty-eight thousand dollars. Demolished 1904. Looking southeast at corner of Jefferson and Franklin Streets. 201-299 North Jefferson. In June 1857 a contract was let to William McGrew and David J. Silver for the erection of a new courthouse on the public square to cost twenty-five thousand dollars. There had been some opposition to the site but the effort to establish a new location was defeated by a test vote of the county. The courthouse when completed cost twenty-eight thousand dollars but was a structure to do credit to any county at that time and would have served longer had not the accommodations been overtaxed. Commissioners at the time of its erection were John Kenower, James Taylor, and Samuel Emley. The cornerstone was laid April 5, 1858 by S.O. Bayless, grand master of Free and Accepted Masons. The tower at the front of the building and rising eighty feet high was a distinguishing mark of the courthouse. The building was located to the east of the square and many trees graced the grounds. A jail was situated in the basement, the first floor was arranged for county officers and the second floor contained the court room, commissioners and jurors rooms. The structure served until 1904 when it was demolished for the erection of the new courthouse. Huntington, Indiana. |
---|---|
Origin: | 1884 |
Source: |
http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16066coll15/id/273 |
Collection: |
Huntington City-Township Public Library |
Copyright: |
Digital image © 2013 Huntington City-Township Public Library. This material may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code), which governs reproduction, distribution, display, and certain other uses of protected works. The user of this material is responsible for compliance with the Law. |
Subjects: |
Courthouses Trees People County government Landscape photographs Snow |
Further information on this record can be found at its source.