Collection Order
<< < > >>

Chautauqua ferry

Description: This photograph of the boat launch was taken around 1904. Fred H. Davis was the "skipper" of the Chautauqua. In 1891-1892 when the new Main St. bridge was under construction, this passenger ferry maintained traffic across the St. Joseph river. It served for years as an excursion boat but was later refurbished and used to transport passengers to the C.G. Conn plant on Beardsley Avenue. It is possible that it also provided excursions at the annual Chautauqua events held along the St. Joseph river.
Source: http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/isl4/id/342
Collection: Elkhart Public Library
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/;
Copyright: No Copyright - United States;
Subjects: Elkhart County (Ind.)
Boats
Ferries
Rivers

Further information on this record can be found at its source.