The Olive Branch Christian Church, located at 101 East Raymond Street, traces its beginnings in Indianapolis to 1870. By 1910 the church purchased two lots at Pennsylvania and Raymond Streets and began constructing a new church. Built with labor and donations from its members the sanctuary was completed in 1916. This view of the church's Sunday School was taken in March 1921 during the Gypsy Smith Revival as seen by the sign posted on the side of the church. In 1921 a city wide revival was held in Indianapolis by English evangelist "Gypsy" Smith to raise funds to build a tabernacle on the site of a vacant lot at Ohio and Alabama Streets. The revival lasted from March 13 to April 10 with several churches pledging donations to raise twenty thousand dollars. The revival was a success and the Cadle Tabernacle was built later that year with a dedication held in October 1921.
The original nitrate negative was copied with funds provided by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission in 1990. This digital image was created from that copy. The copy prints and negatives are stored in Microfiche Number order. Interpositives are stored in PAN number order.
Bretzman, Charles F.
Digital image2012 Indiana Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.
Panoramic Photograph Images
This image may be printed or downloaded by individuals, schools or libraries for personal use, study, research or classroom teaching without permission. For other uses contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Olive Branch Christian Church
Christian Churches (Disciples of Christ)
Further information on this record can be found at its source.