This collection is part of an on-going project of the Adams Public Library System to digitize and make publicly available the records for Adams County. Current records include the statistical reports from the Adams County Assessor's Office. Additional materials will be added as time and funding permit.
This collection from the Adams Public Library System provides access to obscure historical accounts and photographs of the early years of the county as well as the state. Included in this collection is the documentation of the first known “Peace Monument” in the United States.
The Allison Transmission archival collection is held by the company at its global headquarters in Indianapolis. This digital collection was created as part of the company's centennial in 2015. Included are newsletters, brochures, advertisements, and photographs.
The Alvin W. Holmes Covered Bridge Photographs digital collection is a representative sampling of more than 300 photographs and slides documenting covered bridges in Indiana and other locations taken by Alvin W. Holmes, circa 1939 to 1972.
This collection of scholarship by Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary (AMBS) faculty, students, and alumni is provided in service of the AMBS mission to serve the church as a learning community with an Anabaptist vision.
Purdue University President Edward C. Elliott invited Amelia Earhart to lecture at the university in 1934. Earhart joined the Purdue University staff as a women's career counselor in 1935. The Purdue Research Foundation funded the purchase of her Lockheed Electra 10E "flying laboratory" that she used in her ill-fated attempt to fly across the world at the equator in 1937. Earhart was on leave of absence from Purdue when she disappeared during this flight. This collection contains photographs and documents related to her time a Purdue.
Arlington High School was among the last three public high schools to open within the Indianapolis Public Schools system. Built in response to the rapid growth of the Indianapolis suburbs on the northeast side, Arlington opened in September 1961.
Arsenal Technical High School began as an actual U.S. Army federal arsenal. Attracted by the student-ready buildings, location, and park-like grounds, the Indianapolis Public Schools began using the former arsenal as a new high school. The Arsenal Technical High School collection includes school yearbooks dating from 1914 and other archival materials of interest to graduates and historians alike.
Objects can be compelling storytellers that put other times and places in context. They bridge time periods and cultures and celebrate our differences. The Indianapolis Public Library and The Children's Museum of Indianapolis have selected 1,000 artifacts from the museum collection to make available via the library's web site. Selected objects range over school subjects from Social Studies to Science to Geography with a particular emphasis on Indiana.
This digital collection contains artist's works within the visual, performance and literary art world. Learn more about Indiana's rich history through sketches, engravings, paintings, and historical works from the late 19th to the early 21st century.
Digitized images from the local history collection at the library.
Many of these images do not have smaller versions. To view the original image, select "View Asset" from the bottom, left-hand corner of the source record.
Ben Davis High School is named for Benjamin Davis, general superintendent of the Vandalia Railroad. He was instrumental in getting a railroad stop for a small community in Wayne Township. The first school was built on the corner of now High School Road in 1892, housing the grade school and the high school with 64 students and two teachers. That school building was replaced in the early 1900s by a larger one at the corner of what is now Morris Street and High School Road. In 1922, Ben Davis became the first consolidated high school in Indiana.
Ben Winans worked as a printer in Brookville, and also mastered the art of photography. He produced approximately 3,000 glass-plate negatives from 1902 to 1916 and fortunately wrote captions and dates for them. Much of what existed in turn-of-the-century Brookville and Franklin County has been lost to "progress" and decline. But the scenes and people of these times have been captured for all time by Winans.
Broad Ripple High School was originally established in 1886 with a two-year high school course of study for students in the little village north of Indianapolis. The first Broad Ripple High School yearbook was published in the spring of 1926. Published annually since then, the book is titled "Riparian" which means "bank of the river", the name chosen by a student contest.
Brownsburg Then and Now is a digitized collection dedicated to preserving the past while sharing this information with the public. This is a searchable collection of images, postcards, and documents that is a continual work in progress. We invite users to explore our past and present, learn about the town of Brownsburg and join us in our efforts to identify people, places, and events important to our history.
The Eliza Blaker Collection includes photographs and speeches relating to the life and work of Eliza Blaker along with historical records of the Teachers College of Indianapolis and the Butler University College of Education. Eliza Blaker established kindergartens in Indiana based on the teachings of Friedrich Froebel. She later started the Teachers College which became affiliated with Butler University in 1929 and is now the College of Education.
The Butler University Irwin Library Images Collection includes photographs and documents related to the Irwin Library at Butler University which was designed by noted architect Minoru Yamasaki. The building was completed in 1963. Images of two earlier campuses of the University are also included.
First published in 1886, The Butler Collegian has served as the student newspaper of Butler University for more than 100 years. Its archives are being made available here. The online archive currently covers 1886-1892 along with some issues from 1893, 1962, and 1963.
The Hett Art Gallery and Museum at historic Camp Chesterfield in Anderson, IN houses 127 years of historical documents and photographs related to the movement and religion of Spiritualism, as well as primary documents and artifacts dating back over a century to the original formation of the Indiana Association of Spiritualists (IAOS) in its museum archives.
Cephas M. Huddleston spent most of his life in Henry County. The images in the collection depict the Spiceland Community. The Hoover Block, Spiceland Academy, Spiceland Sanitarium, train depot and Stigleman Manufacturing Company are among the landmarks shown.
LeSueur (1778-1846) was a French naturalist and explorer who lived in New Harmony from 1825-1837, where he sketched the people, animals, and natural environment.
The City of Terre Haute collection includes images of the Mayors and City Court Judges of Terre Haute, as well as City Council Minutes.
During the American Civil War (1861-1865), Indiana Governor Oliver P. Morton&aops;s staff recorded thousands of the governor's incoming and outgoing telegrams in small, bound books. The governor and his staff communicated by telegraph with the highest and most prominent government and military leaders in the North, including President Abraham Lincoln and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton.
The Civil War Home Front Collection consists of original letters from, to and about Indiana soldiers and their family members. The letters contain a significant amount of collective commentary on home front topics of local, regional and national interest.
Collection items illustrate the lives of the soldiers and major events in the war, along with items that show Hoosiers struggling to support the war and maintain their farms, businesses and home state.
This collection includes military correspondence and records, diaries, published memoirs and regimental histories, photographs of soldiers in carte-de-visite and cased image form, broadsides, maps, and three-dimensional artifacts. Much of it documents the presence of Hoosier soldiers in various campaigns and events and provides insight into everyday military activities.
This collection includes materials from the local history collection of the Charlestown Clark County Public Library.
In the late 1970s and early 1980s a librarian at the Jeffersonville Township Public Library in Jeffersonville, Indiana created a series of slide shows about the history of Clark County ranging from a general historical overview to shows focusing specifically on the buildings and industries of the area. The Library digitized these slideshows. These digital images were used by 6th - 8th grade students in Mrs. Gipson's classes at River Valley Middle School in fall 2014 and 5th grade students in Ms. Godsey's library classes at Clarksville Middle School in spring 2015 to learn about visual literacy.
Local climate data dating from 1940 to present recorded from the Indianapolis International Airport (NOAA). Also available are several weather related newspaper articles ranging from 1936-1971. Additionally, you can view a dynamic weather calendar to view precipitation and temperature dating back to the late 1800s.
This collection includes postcards from the Colfax Public Library illustrating the businesses and churches from the turn of the century.
The Clinton Public Library digital collection includes images of Clinton and Vermillion County. Subjects include street scenes and commercial establishments, activities of the Hillcrest Community Center from the 1910’s through the 1930’s, historic buildings and bridges, and the once vital activity of coal mining.
The Columbus Indiana Architectural Archives was created to collect, conserve, preserve, and promote the use of records that document the architecture, engineering, and arts associated with the built environment of Columbus, Indiana and Bartholomew County. The archives' collection includes materials on both Historical and Modernist projects, including many of the 60 plus designs by world famous architects of the last half century that are located in Bartholomew County.
Almanacs, with their calendars, weather forecasts and astronomical information, were often coveted possessions in early American households. Indeed, one 19th-century historian claimed that almanacs and bibles "were the two books most likely to be found in Christian" homes.
Clothes can tell you much about the men, women and children who wore them, and about the society in which they lived. The items depicted in this collection are from Conner Prairie's substantial collection of historic clothing and accessories.
Conner Prairie preserves these textile legacies of the past for present and future generations of families to enjoy.
The Conner Prairie Rural History Project (2001-2003) was an effort to capture the fast disappearing rural landscape and heritage of Hamilton County, Indiana. Funded by the Legacy Fund of Hamilton County, the project conducted over 125 oral histories with farmers, business leaders, and local citizens who shared their memories of the county's rural past. In addition, diaries, letters and photos documenting that heritage were collected and digitized for posterity.
The preservation and continuation of traditional crafts and their skills are important to American culture. The Conner Prairie craft collection consists of Conner Prairie traditional crafts featuring pottery, arms-making, and blacksmithing.
Transferware was an 18th-century English innovation in ceramic decoration in which copper-plate engravings were "transferred" to items via a "tissue." No longer was it necessary to laboriously hand-decorate ceramics like tableware, basins or tiles. Manufacturers like Spode and Wedgewood found eager markets for their decorative, durable goods, particularly in the United States.
Crispus Attucks was Indianapolis' first segregated high school built for African-Americans in 1927. This digital collection captures the history of the high school through its yearbooks (1928-1986), newspapers, and graduation programs.
The Daniel W. Hartwig Indiana Courthouse Photographs digital collection consists of over 500 digital photographs documenting county courthouses throughout Indiana. County courthouses form the symbolic center of dozens of Indiana towns, and many are significant architectural landmarks.
The Delaware County Aerial Plat Maps digital collection includes views of the following cities and towns in Indiana: Albany, Daleville, Eaton, Gaston, Muncie, Selma, and Yorktown. Created in the 1970s by the Sidwell Company, the plat maps were used by the Delaware County Auditor’s Office to keep track of splits and combines of properties. Using red pencil, the County Auditor marked the division and consolidation of plats, thus maintaining current records on residential & commercial property.
The Delaware County Methodist Church Photographs digital collection includes 53 photographs of Methodist churches throughout Muncie and Delaware County and a paper on the history of Methodism in Delaware County.
This collection is the result of an on-going effort by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology to digitize the photographs in their files. The images represent two of the special initiatives undertaken by DHPA to preserve the culture and history of Indiana. The Historic Theater Initiative focuses on historic theaters, opera houses, and drive-ins that are rapidly disappearing in local communities. The Indiana cemetery initiative focuses on preserving the historic cemeteries and prehistoric burial areas found in every county.
The Indiana State Parks traces its history to Richard Lieber, who recommended a system of state parks be created as part of the 1816 bicentennial. As part of its centennial celebration, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Division of State Parks and Reservoirs is digitizing materials from the collections held at each of its locations.
Initiated by the Knox County Public Library in response to the 275th anniversary of the founding of Vincennes in 1732, Early Vincennes includes digital versions of public records related to the first one hundred years of Vincennes and the early years of American western expansion.
The Educational Heritage Association is a volunteer-based organization focused on collecting, preserving, and promoting education in the Wabash Valley. Its collection includes yearbooks, photographs, trophies and plaques, and other memorabilia from Vigo County schools.
The Eleanor Roosevelt Speech Collection includes an audio recording and accompanying transcript that document Eleanor Roosevelt's speech to a convocation in Assembly Hall at Ball State Teachers College (now Ball State University) in Muncie, Indiana, on May 6, 1959. The title of Mrs. Roosevelt's speech was Is America Facing World Leadership? Mrs. Roosevelt warned those in attendance against complacency and stressed the urgency of understanding other peoples of the world.
In the late 19th century, some innovative educators conceived of the idea of a high school that would combine a traditional curriculum, including subjects such as mathematics, science, and Greek, with courses in manual skills, such as mechanics, drafting, and home nursing. The school, originally known as the Industrial Training School, opened its doors in 1895 and quickly gained national attention as a successful educational experiment. The name of the school changed several times in the early years and finally, in 1916, the school became known as Charles E. Emmerich Manual Training High School in honor of the school’s first principal.
Formally opening on September 27, 1880, English's Opera House quickly became Indianapolis' leading theater presenting not only opera but drama, musical comedy, ballet, concerts, minstrel shows, lectures, vaudeville and film. These programs document performances given by actors such as Sarah Bernhardt, the Barrymores, George M. Cohan, Helen Hayes, Katharine Hepburn and Laurence Olivier and include ads for city businesses, previews and reviews of productions, even some jokes and commentary.
“Bus” Stegall was a Richmond, Indiana pilot who was involved in aviation from the 1930s. During World War II he served as a Naval flight instructor, and after the war he continued to study Richmond's aviation history.
The Eugene V. Debs Correspondence Collection contains letters, typescripts, and manuscripts of nearly 1,700 individuals, including Eugene and his brother, Theodore Debs, written between 1874 and 1977.
The Debs Museum collection contains personal artifacts which belonged to Eugene V. Debs or his family as well as memorabilia related to his role as a pioneer labor leader and Socialist Party candidate for president five times between 1900 and 1920. A collection of campaign buttons from these elections is included.
Indiana Eugenics - History and Legacy 1907-2007
The Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library first opened on January 1, 1913. To celebrate 100 years of service to the community, this collection uses photographs, annual reports, and other items of note to demonstrate the history of the library and all of the services it has offered over the last 100 years.
This is a collection of Evansville city directories, dating back to the first directory published in 1858. The directories provide historical information about Evansville, as well as addresses & occupations of residents; business listings; detailed trade & manufacturing information; advertisements; and information about schools, churches, & social organizations.
This collection contains historic images of southwestern Indiana from 1880s to present. This collection includes images of the Flood of 1937 and local architecture. Also included are images documenting the African-American community.
Evansville Electronic Books is a collection of historical books and pamphlets about Evansville people and places.
Evansville Images is a collection of postcards; magazine and book illustrations; and photographs of buildings, boats, & people in and around Evansville, Indiana. The oldest images date back to the 1800s.
The Evansville in WWII Digital Collection contains keyword searchable local industry newsletters and thousands of Evansville Shipyard photographs and war bond posters.
Evansville Postcards is a collection of postcard images depicting structures, people, and attractions in and around Evansville.
Evansville Yearbooks is a collection of high school yearbooks from five public high schools in the Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation. the individual schools: Bosse High School, Central High School, Harrison High School, North High School, or Reitz High School.
Between 2012 and 2013, the FAMILIES TALK Oral History recorded the school memories of 195 past and present students, parents and grandparents with Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) and charter school experiences. The goal was to explore how school experiences differ between people, places and times. The result is a vivid record of eight decades of urban life, from segregation to busing to school choice and re-segregation.
The Fire Fighter Photograph images are from the collection of Donald A. Weber, a retired professional fire fighter and photographer, and from the personal collections of other fire fighters. These images portray the important work of the Fort Wayne Fire Department over many decades and they provide glimpses of Fort Wayne buildings, streetscapes, and fire-fighting equipment.
This collection consists of photographic, manuscript, artifact, and printed materials pertaining to Flanner House, a social service organization created to provide assistance to Indianapolis’ African-American population.
This collection contains images of people, places, and organizations in Fort Wayne, Allen County, and northeast Indiana. These images have been given to the library or loaned to the library to scan for this collection.
Precinct by precinct election results for elections held in Allen County, Indiana from 1852 to 1967. The collection is a collaborative effort between the Helmke Library and the Mike Downs Center for Indiana Politics.
The Fort Wayne Area Government Information digital collection contains studies, reports, maps and data related to major topics such as education, economic development, land use and planning, and politics.
Explore publications pertaining to Fort Wayne area history from earliest encounters between European settlers and the Miami Indians to industrialization during the first part of the twentieth century. The documents in this collection cover a broad range of topics, including social and cultural life, political affairs, and economic prosperity and hardship. It contains a rich assortment of maps, illustrations and letters as well as a biographical dictionary with more than 1,000 sketches of prominent figures in Fort Wayne history.
The Fountain County Community collection contains digital items donated to the project by private individuals in Fountain County.
The Friesner Herbarium Digital Collection contains images of plant specimens, collected throughout Indiana, from the Butler University Friesner Herbarium. This collection includes fern, orchid, and sunflower specimens along with plants in the bean, buttercup, figwort, mint, and mustard families.
Gene Stratton-Porter was a well-known author and naturalist from Indiana. This collection includes photographs, letters, newspaper accounts, hand-colored postcards, and other memorabilia. This is collaborative project of the Geneva Branch of the Adams Public Library System and the Limberlost State Historic Site, the two-story log cabin that Stratton-Porter and her husband built in Geneva in late 19th century.
This project makes accessible historically significant documents that were the property of Rensselaer resident Robert Huston Milroy who formed and led the volunteer G company of the 9th Regiment of the Indiana Infantry. He later reached the rank of Major General, was known as the "Grey Eagle of the Army," served the Union meritoriously and provided acclaim and notoriety to Jasper County. His papers, letters, photographs, and memorabilia are invaluable in their accounts of the Civil War and his part in that war.
The Amelia Earhart papers offer a rare glimpse into the life of America's premier woman aviator. In 1928 she was the first woman to fly across the Atlantic. Earhart was on leave of absence from Purdue when she disappeared during the 1937 attempt to fly around the equator. The online collection includes more than 3,500 scans of photographs, maps, documents, and artifacts relating to Earhart.
George Washington High School opened in 1927 in Indianapolis in the Haughville neighborhood..The high school was closed by Indianapolis Public Schools in 1995. The high school's yearbook, originally published as a special edition of the school newspaper, was called the Senior Post through the 1950s, finally becoming simply the Post. This collection of the annuals is not complete but spans the years 1932 through 1988.
George Winter is one of Indiana's best-known artists. Born in 1809 in Portsea, England, by 1837 he was located in Logansport, Indiana, and nearly all of Mr. Winter's remaining life was spent in the Wabash valley. More than 1,200 images and personal manuscripts relating to the Miami and Potawatomi tribes and their forced relocation to Kansas have been preserved and made available to researchers through this web site.
The Gibson County Community WV3 collection contains digital items donated to the project by private individuals in Gibson County.
The Gill Township Collection contains digital items related to the history of the township, which is located in the south-eastern part of Sullivan County, Indiana. Gill Township includes the towns of Merom, Riverton and New Lebanon.
The first 32 years (1881-1913) of the Gospel Trumpet is the ideal research tool for those interested in learning more about the prominent leaders, historical events, or unique beliefs that helped lay the foundation for what is now the Church of God (Anderson, Indiana).
The Winona Lake Postcards Collection consists of several hundred postcards depicting Winona Lake from the early 1900s to the 1970s. Winona Lake was a thriving center of cultural activity where thousands of people spent their summer attending concerts, lectures, sermons and educational classes. Thousands of people were drawn to the chautauquas and to the relaxing atmosphere of Winona Lake. The postcards provide a glimpse of the buildings, cottages, transportation, entertainment and lifestyle of the chautauqua era.
The Winona Railroad Collection includes images and a variety of memorabilia related to the history of the interurban railroad in northern Indiana. The Winona Railroad was developed to transport the thousands of guests who traveled from Chicago and Indianapolis and many other parts of the country to attend the Christian Chautauqua in Winona Lake, IN. It expanded to include towns north and south of Warsaw/Winona Lake serving other needs of people who lived along the line such as transportation to work, shopping and other business needs.
The Grant County (Indiana) Veterans Oral Histories collection provides online access to digitized audio recordings and transcripts of 64 oral history interviews with U.S. military veterans from Grant County conducted by Marion High School students between 1998 and 2004. The veterans interviewed for this project served in World War II, Korea, Southeast Asia and Vietnam, Persian Gulf, Kuwait, Kosovo, Grenada, Fort Knox, and Desert Storm. Subjects interviewed discuss their experiences and backgrounds and the conditions in which they served.
A collection of images of Hamilton County, Indiana. Sources of the images include the photographs of Earl Brooks (1883-1968), who took pictures between approximately 1897 and 1904 in central Indiana, California, Kentucky and Ohio and photographs of the Hamilton County Township Schools taken between 1892 and 1909. Also included is the Inter-State Directory Company's directory of Noblesville and Hamilton County Gazetteer for the years 1907-1908, a countywide residential and business directory.
The Hamilton East Public Library collection contains digitized materials that depict and preserve the history of Hamilton County in general and Noblesville, in particular. Our initial collection, the Noblesville Mayor Docket Books, record the early court cases heard by the mayors of Noblesville beginning in 1887 through 1950.
In the fall of 1953, Wood High School opened in the refurbished school buildings vacated when Emmerich Manual High School moved to its new site on the south side of Indianapolis. Wood was designed as a new vocational training high school with its primary focus on academics and the specific goal of providing secondary-level vocational education to its students. The school closed in 1978. Wood was named for Harry E. Wood, a graduate of Manual High School, who became a renowned artist and craftsman as well as an educator and administrator at Manual.
Images and personal papers of Harvey Grounds relating to coal mining in Sullivan County, Indiana.
Helen Gougar was a national figure in the late nineteenth century, lecturing across the country on temperance and suffrage and she practiced law in the state of Indiana. She sued the Tippecanoe County election board for its refusal to allow her to vote in the 1894 election. Gougar went on to argue her own case before the Indiana Supreme Court. This collection contains the court argument in that lawsuit.
This collection consists of the records of the Central Normal College and Canterbury College. Danville, Indiana, was the home of Central Normal College (CNC) from 1878 to 1946. The college was one of the nation’s earliest normal schools which specialized in teacher s training. In 1946, the Episcopal Church took over the college and the name was changed to Canterbury College (CC). It became a liberal arts school until it closed in 1951.
This collection consists of glass plates and photographs related to Carthage, Rush County, Indiana and the Herbert O. Henley family and their friends and neighbors. Also included are images of buildings, farms, mills, stores, bridges, the Main Street of Carthage, and the train depot.
Herman List was a cook at the National Surgical Institute in Indianapolis in the late 1890s. Photography was his hobby, and he took pictures of staff and patients at the Institute as well as pictures of his family at home.
This online collection features a number of these noteworthy and remarkable items from the Rare Books and Manuscripts Division of the Indiana State Library, such as a letter from Helen Keller, ancient Sumerian and Babylonian cuneiform tablets (circa 2800-544 B.C.E.), and a piece of ivy taken from President Abraham Lincoln's casket.
The resources in this collection are historical atlases of various Indiana counties including Hamilton, Henry, Madison and Putnam. These books not only provide maps of Hoosier areas dating from 1875 to 1901, but also provide rich historical details of the central Indiana region. Within this collection there are narrative histories, biographical information about Indiana pioneers, detailed illustrations of people and places, statistical tables, and much more.
The resources in this collection are historical maps of Indiana, its counties and cities, from the collections at Indiana University. The selection was based on G. K. Hall and Co.'s Checklist of Printed Maps of the Middle West to 1900 Volume 3 covering the state of Indiana.
The Plat Books of Indiana Counties are historic guides to the communities of Indiana, showing townships, roads and section numbers. These geographic resources were originally created by Sidwell Studio and W. W. Hixson & Co. between approximately 1925 and 1941. Only approximate dates are available as the publisher neglected to date the books.
These images consist primarily of photographs donated to the library from various sources, including private collections and the Fort Wayne newspapers. Although there are photographs from all over Indiana, most have a Fort Wayne or Allen County emphasis. There are some photos from the 1880s and 1890s, but most date from the early 1900s to the 1970s.
The Historical Whitley County collection is a joint effort of the Peabody Public Library and the Whitley County Historical Museum . These collections will be continually expanded and updated. Within this collection you may also link to oral histories of Whitley County, Veterans’ History Project interviews, cemetery listings, First Families of Whitley County Indiana, the Library’s Obituary Database , Whitley County Military Database, Whitley County Historical Society Bulletin Index and many photographs and documents concerning the Library and Whitley County. We hope that you will visit often.
The History Center Digital Collections offers unparalleled access to many of the thousands of photos, documents, maps, manuscripts, and other valuable historical materials owned by the History Center in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The digital collections, selected to augment and reinforce History Center educational programs, are being developed through a partnership between the Helmke Library at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne and the History Center.
This collection contains resources related to LGBT Hoosiers and their contributions in the areas of civil rights, community organizations, and daily life.
This collection is part of the John Martin Smith collection, digitized by the Eckhart Public Library, Willenar Genealogy Center, Auburn, Indiana.
This collection is the result of a collaborative project with the Greentown Historical Society to digitize local newspapers in Howard County, Indiana. Included here are 25 issues of the Greentown Gem dating from 1898 to 1935 and 242 issues of the Greentown Grapevine dating from 1995 to 2007.
This collection of digitized materials currently comprises historical photographs of the city and county of Huntington, Indiana. It is continually being expanded, and consists of materials in the Indiana Room at the Huntington City-Township Public Library. In addition to the other historic photographs, there is a collection of photographs by William Hubbell of the cinty of Huntington and Huntington county that were commissioned by the Huntington City-Township Public Library in 1911.
The Indiana ArtsDesk Radio Archive digital collection includes broadcasts from Indiana ArtsDesk, a weekly program dedicated to fostering awareness, appreciation, and participation in the arts in East Central Indiana and throughout the Indiana Public Radio listening area.
The Indiana Historical State Agency Documents is a special collection of historical state agency publications. For the purposes of this collection, our definition of "state agency" includes departments, boards, bureaus, commissions, councils, and committees that carry out various functions of the Executive Branch of Indiana state government.
This collection documents the limestone industry of Monroe County, Indiana. The core collection, from the Monroe County History Center, includes various photographs, letters, newspaper clippings, business records and other ephemera relating to the Matthews Brothers Stone Company, a limestone quarry which operated out of Ellettsville, Indiana from 1862 to 1978.
This collection from the Indiana State Archives contains documents relating to Indiana's early settlement before statehood. Included are official documents relating to military and court records.
The Granville C. Thompson Photographs of Bridge Construction Projects in Indiana documents 41 bridge projects within Indiana that occurred during the first half of the 20th Century. Thompson was an Indiana State Highway Commission draftsman and engineer involved with each project.
This collection contains digitized newspaper titles from across Indiana and accessible through the online resource, Hoosier State Chronicles.
This collection includes documentary editions of prominent citizens of Indiana, including the early governors, published by the Indiana Historical Commission. Includes the papers of John Tipton, William Henry Harrison, and early accounts of life in Indiana.
The Farm Security Administration was a New Deal agency established in 1937. The photographs cover a timeline from 1935 to 1945. The FSA photographers in Indiana photographed tenant farmers, soil erosion, women and homemaking, planting of crops and various forms of relaxation as well as many other topics.
The Indiana Farmer was a monthly publication detailing news and events about and for Indiana's farming community. The Farmer gives a rare view of rural Hoosier life from 1851 to 1917. It includes the mechanization of Hoosier agriculture, the founding of Purdue University and the first Indiana State Fair.
This collection contains the published records of the Indiana General Assembly from 1817 to 1900. Included are the Brevier Legislative Reports, the Documentary Journals, the Senate Journals, and the House Journals. These publications document the debates and proceedings of both houses of the legislative branch, messages from the Governor, and reports from the various state agencies.
This collection contains published volumes on Indiana history in general and individual county histories published before 1922. These histories provide insight into the early history of the state and biographical information about early residents.
The collection contains images from the early 1960s through present day and captures historic architecture throughout the state.
Every year since 1978 Indiana Landmarks has surveyed from two to four counties, looking for architecturally and historically significant structures and districts. Field surveyors drive every road in the county, identifying, documenting, and photographing historic sites and structures.
This collection contains published volumes on Indiana history in general and individual county histories published before 1922. These histories provide insight into the early history of the state and biographical information about early residents.
The Indiana History Bulletin is a publication of the Indiana Historical Commission reporting on activities that promote state and local history.
Wilbur Peat served as director of the John Herron Art Museum in Indianapolis from 1929-1965. During that time he authored Indiana Houses of the Nineteenth Century, a seminal work on residential architectural styles. Indiana Landmarks holds much of Peat's architectural collection.
A collaborative project between IUPUI and the Indiana Medical History Museum to make this scrapbook, which Dr. William Niles Wishard was heavily involved in the creation of, available in digital format. This treasure is a window into the history of medicine in Indiana and an introduction to some of the past prominent figures in the Indianapolis Medical Society.
Since 1971, Indiana Landmarks' member magazine Indiana Preservationist has provided information about historic Hoosier places, architectural styles, preservation issues, threats to landmarks and efforts to save and preserve our state's heritage. Members of Indiana Landmarks receive the bi-monthly magazine as a benefit of membership. The collection contains the full text of articles from 1971 to recent years.
This collection is part of a larger project to digitize the public health materials created by the Indiana State Department of Health. Included here are 110 issues of the Monthly Bulletin from 1899 to 1920.
Rich in heritage and always striving to meet the challenges of the 21st Century, The Indiana School for the Deaf has developed into one of the leading deaf schools in the nation. 204 volumes with 18,000 pages of publications include school newsletters, senior numbers and yearbooks. Titles include: The Silent Hoosier (1887-1934), Hooserian (1923), The Hoosier (1935-1996), Orange and Black (1921-1938), and Yearbooks (1938-1982).
The Indiana Historical State Agency Documents is a special collection of historical state agency publications. For the purposes of this collection, our definition of "state agency" includes departments, boards, bureaus, commissions, councils, and committees that carry out various functions of the Executive Branch of Indiana state government.
This collection comprises a variety of broadsides, posters, flyers, meeting notices, and similar, single-sheet printed items from the Indiana State Library Rare Books and Manuscripts Division.
This Indiana State Library Genealogy Collection contains materials of genealogical significance to both family historians and genealogy enthusiasts. This collection is comprised of complied genealogies, family bible pages, family trees, funeral memorial cards and the Indiana Mortality Census data. Additionally, we are constantly working to enhance our collection by soliciting genealogical items from the public to be digitized with our scan-a-thon program.
This online collection comprises documents, photographs, pamphlets, scrapbooks, and other materials from the Small Collections of the Indiana State Library Rare Books and Manuscripts Division..
This collection of county maps reveal Indiana's network of roads in each county in the first half of the twentieth century. The Indiana Highway Survey maps were created from a 1936 survey and reveal information about the roads on one map and the built landscape, including dwellings, churches, schools, and cemeteries, on a second map. The United States Post Office maps show the rural delivery routes in each county around 1910.
This collection comprises many oral histories from the Indiana State Library Rare Books and Manuscripts Division, which were recorded during an extensive oral history project with hundreds of Hoosiers from around the state during the 1970s and 1980s.
Images from the Photograph Collection of the Indiana State Library Rare Books and Manuscripts Division depicting historical people, places, and events in Indiana from the 19th to the 21st century
The Indiana State Library has a large collection of trade catalogs from Indiana businesses. This collection has started with bicycle catalogues from the 1890s. Additional catalogs will be added as time permits.
The University Archives collection consists of photographs depicting the rich history of the university. These photos include homecoming, athletics, student organizations, students, faculty, special events, and architecture. We are currently expanding our collection to include yearbooks, publications, documents, and other historical materials.
Oral history interviews and other audio from the Indiana State University Bayh College of Education
Indiana State University Communications & Marketing will provide the Wabash Valley Visions and Voices project with a collection of photographs depicting all aspects of campus life. Along with images of campus, the collection will include photographs of sporting events, student activities, experiential learning and traditional events such as commencement, reunion day, and founder's day. We also will be adding historical images from our office database including the construction of Hulman Center and other classic scenes of the campus.
The Indiana State University Community collection contains digital items about the history and culture of Indiana State University donated to the project by ISU students, faculty, and staff.
The Indiana State University Folklore Archives is the largest accessible university-based folklore repository in the Midwest. It contains thousands of examples of Indiana's folk culture such as local legends, folk beliefs, customs, jokes, riddles, and campus ghost stories.
The Indiana State University Library includes Works Project Administration photographs, Indiana Federal Writers' Project/Program materials, the Eugene V. Debs collection, the Chauncey Rose papers, and a collection of photographs of Indiana's covered bridges.
The Indiana Woman was a weekly magazine published by Earl E. Stafford, owner of The Indiana Illustrating Company. Stafford had established his company and began printing the magazine in 1895. It was discontinued in 1899 and replaced by The Illustrated Indiana Weekly.
"The Activities of the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce" provides an intriguing glimpse of the city during the period of time between the two world wars. Although the primary focus of the newsletter was local business, the interests of the Chamber extended far beyond the business community. These pages include numerous photographs of Indianapolis landmarks, places, and people.
): The Indianapolis Children's Choir is built on the belief that all children have incredible potential—for artistry and many other achievements. Over the past 30 years, generations of young people in the ICC have attained lofty artistic and personal goals. In this collection, you can explore the fun and hard work—and the incredible musical achievements—shared by children in the ICC from its launch in 1986 until today.
These books tell a great deal about our past by including the names and information about residents as well as businesses in Indianapolis through the years, including the addresses and occupations of householders and complete business directories. This collection consists of 14 Indianapolis city directories ranging from 1858-1980.
Opened in 1996, the Indianapolis Firefighters Museum's mission is to celebrate the history of the Fire Service in central Indiana and the Fire Departments' contributions to the community.
Flanner House, a social service agency, was founded in 1898. It was the first agency in Indianapolis devoted solely to meeting the social service needs of African-Americans and is nationally recognized for developing groundbreaking programs that foster a spirit of self-reliance. The collection provides insight into this historic organization and its important role in shaping the social and economic landscape of Indianapolis.
In 2011, the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission granted the IUPUI Herron Art Library permission to digitize their image collection of historically significant areas and structures of Marion County, Indiana. This collection, the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission Collection, contains information and images of Indianapolis properties located within these designated historic districts. Searching through this collection the user will enjoy connections to many of the IUPUI University Library’s digital image collections such as the Turners, the Recorder, the City Directories, and the Indiana Artists Collection.
The Indianapolis Maennerchor (men's choir), established in 1854 by German immigrants, is one of the oldest continuously active singing societies in the United States. The Maennerchor was an important organization in the early cultural life of Indianapolis, sponsoring musical events of national importance and bringing prominent singers and musicians to the city.
The objective of the Indianapolis Public Library African American History Committee is to present the diverse accomplishments and heritage of African Americans to the general public. The AAHC was created in 1978 by Elizabeth Levy, and was sponsored by Celia (Cathy) Gibson. Early signature events included film festivals and "An Afternoon with …" featuring famous authors, actors, and historians. Inside you will find information on past events, lectures, and exhibits by viewing posters, programs, news items, and compilations of African American authors and illustrators.
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway boasts an enormous photographic collection documenting over 100 years of automobile racing.
This collection consists of several large-scale color maps from the late 19th and early to mid-20th centuries, depicting the commercial, industrial, and residential sections of Indianapolis, Indiana. These maps were originally produced for insurance underwriters, who used them to determine risks and establish premiums.
Sister Cities International, created at a 1956 White House Summit initiated by President Eisenhower, is an organization founded on the principle of citizen diplomacy. Indianapolis Sister Cities International carries this legacy as a champion for peace and prosperity by promoting the program's goal of fostering bonds between people from different communities around the world. The Indianapolis Sister Cities program history is rich and includes accomplishments in education, business, and government, as well as culture and the arts.
In 1893 members of the Indianapolis German-American community living on the south side of Indianapolis broke away from the Indianapolis Socialer Turnverein to form the Indianapolis South Side Turners. This organization stressed physical fitness and the preservation of German culture and was a social and cultural center for German-Americans in the southern part of the city.
Inland Steel Company, founded in 1893 in Chicago, arrived first in northwest Indiana, establishing its Indiana Harbor Works in 1901 in East Chicago, Indiana. This selection of images from the Inland Steel Company Photograph Collection provides insight about the local steel industry.
The IPFW Archaeological Survey is committed to the dissemination of archaeological information and public involvement in Midwestern archaeology. Our commitment to public education includes the electronic publication of our major reports.
Irvington is a historic neighborhood on the east side of Indianapolis, bounded by 10th Street, Arlington Avenue, Brookville Road, and Emerson Avenue. From its inception, Irvington, named for the author Washington Irving, was planned to be a community of culture and refinement. Created from the land holdings of Jacob B. Julian, Sylvester Johnson, and Dr. Levi Ritter, the town was incorporated in 1873, and became part of Indianapolis in 1902. These oral histories were conducted primarily in the 1970s and 1980s. These histories create a snapshot of how everyday life was lived and enjoyed in this distinctive Indianapolis neighborhood.
In 1950, James Ostler, a Frankfort mailman and amateur photographer, began taking photographs for the Farmers Bank. One of the bank's former presidents conceived the idea in order to show the images in a rotating display for bank patrons. Ostler was given free reign as to what photographs he took, so the collection encompasses everything from school events, club meetings, school games, political affairs, businesses, and organizations.
This digital collection celebrates the works of James Whitcomb Riley. Livin' the life of Riley provides access to manuscripts, personal letters, photographs, early edition books, and artifacts that represent the Hoosier Poet.
Photographs show Riley, his family, friends and events in his life. Correspondence between family members gives information about their everyday lives. Letters between Riley and friends, such as artist T.C. Steele and author Bill Nye, are included. Holiday postcards from 1911 reveal the poet's popularity throughout the country.
On Friday, June 7, 1912, James Whitcomb Riley finished his last recording session for the Victor Talking Machine Company. Out of around twenty recordings made during five days of readings, only four of the discs were ever issued by Victor. This collection consists of seventeen unpublished recordings of the Hoosier Poet reading his work. There are dialect selections, sad poems, happy poems, stories, tales, and a funny little speech, The Soldier’s Story, that Riley must have told many times.
This collection consists of 1600 letters written to Jesse G. Dorsey by over three hundred military personnel and their families during World War II. Dorsey, Director of Recreation & Welfare for the Louisville Cement Company and editor of the Speedometer (employee newsletter), acted as host to military personnel who were stationed nearby. He began a letter exchange program to send service members news from home during the war. The letters are from all over the world and reflect the soldier’s views.
In 1915 Jessie Groves arrived in Indianapolis at the age of 21 to take a position as the Night Supervisor at Long Hospital on the campus of the fledgling Indiana University School of Medicine. She spent four decades at the IU Medical Center. The collection consists mainly of candid photographs taken by Jessie and an oral history completed when she was 83 years old looking back on her career.
John Howard Yoder (1927-1997) was a Mennonite theologian and ethicist perhaps best known for his defense of pacifism. He taught at the Goshen Biblical Seminary, Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary and Notre Dame University and was the author of The Politics of Jesus. Collections contains his unpublished writings, photographs, and scholarly documents pertaining to his career.
On the far eastside of Indianapolis, John Marshall High School was one of three IPS high schools built in response to the rapid growth of Indianapolis suburbs in the 1950s and 60s. The school opened in September 1968 and saw its enrollment more than double in the first ten years.
John Tipton (1786-1839) was a militia officer, politician, Indian agent and land speculator. He was an officer in the Indiana Militia, serving at the Battle of Tippecanoe and in engagements against the Indiana during the War of 1812. As Indian agent, he oversaw the removal of the Potawatomi Indians from Indiana in 1838. He also served as a U.S. Senator from 1831 to 1839.
The Joseph M. Fisher World War II Collection consists of a scrapbook compiled by Fisher's mother, Vanchie Fisher, about her son's experience in the Army. The scrapbook is made up primarily of letters from Fisher to his parents written from December 1942 until October 1945. Other materials included in the collection are mementos sent home by Fisher that were not fastened to the scrapbook, inserts from envelopes containing allotment checks and newspaper clippings.
Karl K. Knecht was the editorial cartoonist for the Evansville Courier for 54 years and his work covered many historically significant events. This collection documents his original editorial cartoon artwork.
The Knox County Community collection contains digital items donated to the project by private individuals in Knox County.
The Knox County Public Library's collection consists of images of Vincennes and Knox County that are part of the library's Historical Collection at the McGrady-Brockman House.
Since 1873, The Indianapolis Public Library has served the people of the city, both growing and changing to fit their needs, making it "a live thing in the whole town." This digital collection of materials from the Library's archives continues the work Mr. Downey, Associate Director and author of a history of the Indianapolis Public Library.
Photographs from The Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection research collection, an incomparable repository and resource for information on the life and legacy of Abraham Lincoln.
Established in 1966 by members of the Lions Club in Clinton, Indiana, the Little Italy Festival Town, Inc. (LIFT) not only sponsors the Little Italy Festival on Labor Day weekend, but manages several historic buildings and properties. Among these are la Piccola Casa, the Mercato, and the Wine Garden featured n this collection. Individual properties are represented by images of both the exterior and interior of the buildings, as well as artifacts residing within the rooms.
The Lost Creek Grove Restoration and Preservation Foundation, Inc. maintains six and one half acres in eastern Vigo County, Indiana, as a gathering place and old-fashion recreational area for the Lost Creek Community. The descendents of the Lost Creek Settlement, of which "the Grove" came to be the heart and center, can trace their history to the founding families that migrated to the area from North Carolina and Virginia in the early 1800s. This digital collection contains photographs portraying the people, activities and organizations of the Lost Creek Community.
The Lost Creek Township collection contains digital items primarily from the collections of Jim Webster of Terre Haute, Indiana. The township is located in the east-central portion of Vigo County, Indiana and includes the town of Seelyville.
Established in 1948, the Peace Studies Institute and Program for Conflict Resolution at Manchester College pioneered the first undergraduate Peace Studies program in the United States. This collection contains the Bulletin published by the Institute.
Otho Winger was president of Manchester College from 1911-1941. His interest in Native American history began when he was a young boy living in Grant County, near the last Indian reservation in Indiana. It was there that he first heard the stories of Little Turtle and Frances Slocum from their descendants. From 1895 to 1898, he taught at an Indian school near Jalapa, where he continued to make friends with and learn the history of the local tribe. Over thirty years later, Winger published a series of pamphlets, two books, and a pageant script that capture a valuable part of Native American history in northeast Indiana.
Margaret Gisolo just wanted to play baseball. Little did she realize that playing baseball on the Blanford Cubs American Legion team would lead to a national controversy over a girl playing on a boy's team. Despite that, she was allowed to play and the Cubs won the Indiana American Legion championship in 1928. She became the Terre Haute Girl Scouts first full-time executive director. In World War II, she joined the WAVES, becoming a lieutenant commander.
Marie Daugherty Webster was a quilt designer, businesswoman, and the author of the first American book about quilting Quilts, Their Story, and How to Make Them, originally published in 1915. The collection contains quilt patterns and templates along with personal memorabilia.
The May Wright Sewall Papers are a collection of documents comprised of approximately 500 letters written to May Wright Sewall dated between 1879 and 1919, and three guest books with remarks and signatures from 197 guests of the Sewall house. The correspondents include people important to the history of Indiana and those involved in national and international politics, social movements, and the arts in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Founded in 1965, the Meridian-Kessler Neighborhood Association has served its 15,000 plus residents for half a century. Its boundaries extend from 38th Street on the south to Kessler Blvd. on the north, from Meridian Street on the west to the Monon Trail on the east. Meridian-Kessler is a community of residents younger to older, homes from multi-unit to mansions and everything in between, local businesses larger and smaller, established and emerging, schools public and private, and a variety of faith based institutions. In this digital collection of past MKNA newsletters provide information about positions and debates on land use, zoning, infrastructure, traffic and public safety, beautification, business, education, expansions and innovations, faith based partnerships and focus and the MKNA grant program.
The Arts and Architecture collection contains original documents, photographs, renderings, and prints which depict the area's illustrious artistic and architectural achievements, in both past and contemporary settings. This collection includes items related to theaters, artists, commercial and residential architecture.
Studebaker, Oliver, Wilson Bros., South Bend Lathe... this collection houses information about the companies, large and small, that contributed to making the South Bend area a center of manufacturing and a business hub for over 150 years.
This collection brings together primary historical sources illuminating progress towards full civil rights for all the people of this diverse community, with a special emphasis on the history and development of the African American community.
The Education collection consists of dedication programs, photographs, school bulletins, newsletters and more from city and county schools in the area.
St. Joseph County Public Library's High School Yearbook collection
Historic Newspapers includes The Reformer, a newspaper produced by the South Bend African-American community, and WWII era issues of the South Bend Mirror. 1920s issues of the River Park Free Press will be coming soon.
This collection is from the Civil Rights Heritage Center at the Indiana University South Bend Archives contains materials relating to the experience of people in and around South Bend, Indiana , who describe their sexual and/or gender identity as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, or queer, as well as people who consider themselves allies to the LGBTQ rights cause.
The Local History Collection contains books, pamphlets, and other printed materials that represent the history and culture of our community prior to 1925. Information includes details and images of individuals, businesses, buildings, government, schools, churches, and social organizations.
This collection contains St. Joseph County Public Library's archival holdings related to local theatre, music, and dance organizations. These include programs, photos, advertisements, and other ephemera representing over 150 years of performing arts in our area.
A collection of vintage photographic and colorized postcards which depict the many iterations of the area's parks, streets, and buildings.
South Bend resident Schuyler Colfax was the 17th Vice-President of the United States under Ulysses S. Grant. He owned and edited the St. Joe Valley Register, a local newspaper, and held multiple public offices prior to becoming Vice-President. His speeches were widely published and sought-after nationwide, and he provided leadership throughout the Civil War period.
The St. Joseph County Maps & Atlases collection contains historic plats, street maps, and other maps made prior to 1940. These may include information on landowners and the locations of their property, the location of dwellings, infrastructure such as railroads and natural features such as rivers, lakes, and terrain.
The Middletown Digital Oral History digital collection consists of audio and accompanying transcriptions for oral history interviews conducted with African American, Jewish and Catholic communities of Muncie, Indiana. In addition to the value of these "personal narratives" illuminating lives of Indiana citizens, the oral history collections selected for this digital collection provide research material on populations that were neglected in the seminal studies published by sociologists Robert and Helen Lynd in the 1920s using Muncie as Middletown, a representative American community.
This collection helps us examine what Bloomington and Monroe County were like before, during, and after the Civil War. With only one surviving issue of the local newspaper from that era and many personal narratives either lost or scattered, this collection brings together an assortment of original materials that remain.
This collection consists of a large number of images collected by Lois Ternet, long-time editor of the Monroeville News. Dating from the 1870s, the photographs serve as a documentary record of the people, buildings, and farms of the town of Monroeville and Monroe Township, located in the southeastern corner of Allen County.
Montgomery County in the Civil War features the diary that Henry Campbell, a Crawfordsville boy who joined the 18th Indiana Artillery, kept from 1862 to 1865. Firsthand accounts of life in camp, battles at Chickamauga, and Chattanooga. Notable are the descriptions of the use of the repeating rifle.
This collection contains a sample of images and booklets pertaining to the history of Morrisson-Reeves Library.
The Muncie and Delaware County Historic Maps and Atlases digital collection features historic maps of Muncie and Delaware County, Indiana dating from 1826 to 1903. Included are maps of individual towns, the twelve Delaware County townships, and An Atlas of Delaware County published in 1887. The towns included are Muncie, Daleville, Yorktown, Eaton and Albany. These maps are a valuable resource for those interested in the growth of these towns and Delaware County during the nineteenth century.
The Muncie and Delaware County Historic Photographs digital collection includes images ranging from the late 19th century to the 21st century.
The Muncie Civic Theatre digital collection includes programs and scrapbooks documenting the performances and history of the Muncie Civic Theatre from its inception in 1931 through 2011.
The Muncie Post-Democrat Newspaper digital collection consists of issues of the historic anti-Ku Klux Klan newspaper published by George Dale from 1921 until his death in 1936, and continued as a local newspaper after his death until the 1950s.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of Muncie, Indiana Collection consists of 200 maps depicting the commercial, industrial, and residential sections of the city from 1883 through 1911. The maps were produced by the Sanborn Map Company to assist fire insurance agents in determining the degree of hazard and establish premiums for particular properties. Today these maps are used by researchers in a variety of fields, including history, urban planning, historic preservation, and genealogy.
The Muncie Times Newspaper digital collection consists of volumes of the newspaper published by owner and publisher Bea Moten-Foster since 1991. This bi-weekly publication serves the African American communities of Muncie, Richmond, Marion, NewCastle and Anderson, Indiana.
The Native American Museum WV3 collection consists of digital images of artifacts housed at the museum.
Visual images (photographs and postcards) from the collections of the New Albany Floyd County Public Library and the Floyd County Historical Society that document the history of the area. Images depict businesses, local architecture, river life, local celebrations, and the history of the local schools and churches.
The Newport Chemical Depot (NECD) is a government owned-contractor operated facility, operated by the Mason and Hanger Corporation, a subsidiary of Day and and Zimmermann, since 1986. It is operated under the command of the U. S. Army Chemical Materials Agency (CMA). Originally authorized Nov.14, 1941, as the Wabash River Ordnance Works (WROW), NECD's mission has significantly changed over time: from the production of RDX, heavy water, VX and TNT, to storage of the VX stockpile, and eventually the neutralization of chemical agent VX.
The NewsLink Indiana Videos digital collection consists of short news briefs created by NewsLink Indiana, an innovation of Ball State University and the iCommunication Initiative. Presented here are news stories from 2005. NewsLink Indiana is a news service for East Central Indiana. NewsLink staff can be found covering Grant, Blackford, Jay, Randolph, Wayne, Henry, Madison and Delaware counties.
Located on West 34th Street, Northwest High School is one of three IPS high schools built in response to rapid suburbanization of Indianapolis in the 1950s and 60s. The school opened in September 1963. The sophomore and junior classes transferred to Northwest from other area high schools, mainly George Washington.
The Northwest Territory Collection consists of papers relating to the exploration, settlement and administration of the Northwest Territory. The bulk of the papers are from the period 1780 through 1801 and relate to the U.S. Army in the West; the campaigns of generals Josiah Harmar, Arthur St. Clair and Anthony Wayne against the Indians; Indian relations; French settlers at Vincennes and elsewhere in the territory; the Ohio Company and other American settlers; and the administration of the territorial government.
The Old School Ledgers are the financial ledgers of Valparaiso University (and its predecessors Northern Indiana Normal School and Valparaiso College) and cover the years 1895-1919.
Oliver Frank "Trixie" Kelly was a Methodist preacher who operated his own photographic gallery as a hobby on State Street in downtown South Whitley from the 1890s until the 1940s. As a local photographer, Kelly did most of his own work in and around South Whitley and the nearby town of Collamer in Whitley County. Views within the collection include area homes and businesses, street construction and paving, a horse show, apple picking, and portraits of local people. Of special interest are the interior photographs of a barber shop, yard goods store and chicken processing room.
Otto Sellers was a commercial and portrait photographer in Muncie, Indiana in the early part of the 20th century. He was born about 1868 in Germany and emigrated to the U.S. as a young man. His photographs document everyday life in Muncie from about 1900 in to the 1920s. The originals were glass negatives from which prints and safety negatives were made.
Cirkut cameras were invented in the late 19th/early 20th centuries to enable photographers to take panoramic photographs of scenery and large groups of people. Indiana photographers were hired to take pictures of family reunions, the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, military encampments, company picnics, conventions, church congregations, etc.
The Park Tudor School Legacy Initiative, founded in 2001, connects talented high school students with families and war veterans across the United States in order to preserve documents and oral histories. The Initiative collects copies of unpublished wartime accounts, letters, diaries and photographs; conducts oral history interviews for the Library of Congress' Veterans History Project, and publishes volumes in its anthology series: Words of War: Wartime Memories. Since 2002, more than 480 oral-history interviews with veterans and civilians and corresponding transcripts have been completed.
The Parke County Community collection contains contributions from Billie Creek Village and individuals in the community.
For 75 years, the Philharmonic has provided Indianapolis with entertaining programs while providing local volunteer musicians with the chance to play challenging music together. Nearly 2000 musicians have played with the Phil throughout the years. Today the Phil is the largest volunteer orchestra in Central Indiana.
These photographs of Dubois County, Indiana were made available by local residents to preserve and share the history of our county’s citizens and locations.
This collection consists of postcards, photographs and negatives from the visual images collection at the Anderson Public Library and document everyday life in Madison County, Indiana. Images of schools, churches, factories, parks, businesses and street scenes are included. Famous notables include Amelia Earhart and James Whitcomb Riley.
The collection contains research materials for Peat's book Pioneer Painters of Indiana, including notes and index cards on Indiana artists and collectors, article clippings, bibliographies, exhibition catalogs, photographs of artworks, and correspondence with art collectors, curators and artists' families. Peat served as director of the John Herron Art Museum (now the Indianapolis Museum of Art) for 36 years from 1929-1965 and was one of the first historians to research and publish about Indiana Art.
This is a collection of the Indiana Boys' School Herald newspaper. These newspapers, printed on the grounds of the Indiana Boys' School, provide a rich history of the institution and the daily happenings there. Many local Plainfield residents were employed at the Indiana Boys' School, working in various capacities from teachers, to administrators, to cooks. The Indiana Boys' School was closed in 2005 and restructured to become the Plainfield Re-entry Educational Facility, essentially ending the 130-year life it had as a reform school for boys.
Indianapolis resident Jay Small collected real photo and printed postcards. The images depict locations across Indiana, individuals, interurban and railway stations, bandstands, celebrations, and examples of advertising. Featured here are views and street scenes in towns and cities. The images date from circa 1907 to the 1920s.
The collection houses records maintained at the library, which includes photographs, documents, and public records pertaining to Princeton, Indiana, and Gibson County.
Photographs and papers (1883-1938) of Hoosier progressive-era reformers Monroe Vayhinger and Culla Johnson Vayhinger. Monroe Vayhinger (1855-1938) was president of Moores Hill College (now Evansville University) and Taylor University (1908-1921), and was an evangelist in the Methodist-Holiness tradition. Culla Johnson Vayhinger (1867-1924) was President of the Indiana Woman's Christian Temperance Union (1903-1920) and lectured widely throughout the U.S. in support of the 18th (Prohibition) Amendment.
Photographs of distinguished Purdue University alumni including the official NASA portraits of astronauts, including Neil Armstrong, Gus Grissom, David Wolf, and others.
This collection is a combination of two individual digitization projects of the Madison Jefferson County Public Library. The River to Rail collection is the result of a collaborative grant project to document the rise and fall of river and railroad transportation in Madison, Indiana. The Harry Lemen collection consists of photographs taken from 1927 through 1950s by a real estate agent and amateur photographer. Lemen captured scenes along the Ohio Valley, particularly in Madison and Jefferson County.
This collection contains documents and research materials relating to Indiana's constitutional history and early statehood.
The Robert F. Kennedy Speech Collection includes audio and video recordings, photographs, as well as a transcript of Robert F. Kennedy's speech delivered at Ball State University on April 4, 1968. Kennedy's speech was devoted to domestic issues and to potential international problems that might occur after Vietnam. He talked passionately about hunger and poverty in America and the rest of the world.
The library is dedicated to the preservation of local history for future generations. Among items in the collection are books, photographs, and records.
Collection consists of materials reflecting the history of the organization and student life. Materials include oral interviews, photographs, architectural drawings, and yearbooks.
In 1953, the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod commissioned the world renowned Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinen to design a complete campus for Concordia Senior College. The result is a campus that first served Concordia Senior College (1957-1977) and now serves Concordia Theological Seminary (1977-present). This digital collection documents in pictures and text how the campus was built, expanded, and used during the more than fifty years it has served to form pastors, deaconesses, and others for service to God and His church.
The Saint-Mary-of-the-Woods College Library collection consists of books about the college including the 1906-1915 view books.
The digital collection of cookbooks is a collaborative effort between the University Library and the Indianapolis Public Library and will focus on Indiana cookbooks dating from the turn-of-the-century, with a special emphasis on fundraising cookbooks published by churches, synagogues and other community organizations.
Shortridge High School was an innovative educational force in Indianapolis. It is the oldest free public high school in Indiana, opening as Indianapolis High School in 1864. The first superintendent, Abram C. Shortridge, took the unusual steps of hiring female teachers, admitting of African American students, lengthening the school year from 3½ to 9 months and introducing a graded system. The list of school achievements includes the first daily student newspaper in the country and a school radio station which began in the 1940s.
Singin' Sam was the stage name for Harry Frankel (1888-1948), who lived much of his life in Richmond, Indiana. He began his career as a minstrel performer and vaudevillian and became a famous personality in commercial radio. Collection includes personal images and audio recordings of his radio shows.
This collection contains images of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin (1798-1856), foundress of the Congregation, as well as photographs of artifacts that belonged to her. Additionally, there are images of several artifacts belonging to the Congregation. Also included in this collection are the three oral history interviews of the project titled Religious Life Through the Generations: An oral history project of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana.
Local merchants published Smithville, Indiana s first newspaper, Name It & Take It, in 1897. Later it was named The Smithville News. A fire suspended publication in 1901, but the newspaper was revived in 1908 by Ralph B. Carter, a local telephone exchange pioneer. Under Carter, the paper covered local business, limestone, railroad news, society news, church events, obituaries, criminal mischief, and gossip about who was courting whom - in Smithville, Harrodsburg, Sanders, Fairfax and Clear Creek.
Special Olympics Indiana (SOI) celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2009. The not-for-profit organization, brought to life on June 6, 1969, primarily through the efforts of two Indiana State University/Lab School faculty members - Tom Songster and Judy Campbell, has been providing year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. This collection contains photographs, documents, artifacts and oral histories that record the history of SOI and the achievements of the athletes.
In 1945, Richard A. (Dick) Greene started his Seen and Heard in Our Neighborhood column for the Muncie Star. When he passed away in 1984, Greene left a legacy of over 10,000 columns and almost 3,000 photographs. The photographs, which were donated by Wiley Spurgeon, and the columns provide invaluable historical documentation of Muncie, Indiana, from the 1930s through the 1970s.
This collection of photographs is the result of a collaborative effort of the Starke County Public Library and the Starke County Historical Society.
The Sullivan County Community WV3 collection contains digital items donated to the project by private individuals in Sullivan County.
No description available
The Sullivan County Historical Society collection consists of early photos of transportation, farming, people, businesses, buildings, etc. These photos were donated by families and local historians from the area.
The collection contains images documenting transportation, buildings, merchants, street scenes, parades, politics, disasters, etc. in Sullivan County. There is also a silent film depicting various aspects of life in Sullivan County from 1938-1939 and Dr. James B. Maple's Scrapbooks. Dr. Maple was a local doctor and historian who in his spare time researched early Vincennes and Sullivan newspapers for items concerning Sullivan Co.
This collection of local materials documents life in Syracuse, Indiana. Materials are from the collections of the Syracuse-Turkey Creek Township Public Library and the Syracuse-Wawasee Historical Museum.
The Free Soil Banner was published in Indianapolis from 1848 to 1854. The paper was an instrument of the Free Soil Party, which was formed in 1848. The primary purpose of the Free Soil Banner was to promote the party's candidates, Martin Van Buren for president, and Charles F. Adams for vice-president, and to gain supporters for their cause. The newspapers contain the proceedings of meetings and conventions, speeches, letters, and sometimes humorous jabs at their opponents.
Since the first copyright for it in 1861, people have found that the small, thin postcard is a quick and inexpensive way to keep in touch with others. This collection documents landmarks such as Wonderland on the eastside, the downtown Traction Terminal, or the Emrichsville Bridge over White River along with the poetry by James Whitcomb Riley.
The Man Haters Film Collection includes a rare 35mm silent movie filmed in Muncie, Indiana in 1915. The film was produced by Basil McHenry, a traveling film producer from Akron, Ohio. He financed the film with sponsorship by Muncie’s Majestic Theater and The Muncie Evening Press newspaper. Readers of the Press were asked to cast their votes for the leading actresses using coupons printed in the paper. Filming began in Muncie, Indiana on November 3, 1915 and the movie opened at the Majestic Theater on November 15, 1915. Basil McHenry also produced similar films in other towns in Indiana and Ohio.
The Miller House was designed by Eero Saarinen, with interiors by Alexander Girard and landscape design by Daniel Urban Kiley. The collection documents the design, construction, history, and maintenance of the residence form 1953 to 2009.
The Other Side of Middletown Collection, consisting of over 150 digital images, illustrates the history of the life and achievements of African Americans in Muncie and Delaware County through photographs donated by members of the community.
This collection documents the personal and professional life of prominent landscape architect and partner of the Olmsted Brothers firm, Percival Gallagher.
The Torch is the student-published newspaper at Valparaiso University. This collection, digitized from the University Archives' microfilm, covers the years 1914-1992. On April 1, 1949 (April Fool's Day), student editors began printing The Scorch, a parody of The Torch, a tradition which continues in present day.
The town of Irvington was annexed to Indianapolis in 1902 with the promise of a high school to serve the area. That school finally opened its doors in September of 1938 as Thomas Carr Howe High School, named for a former president of Butler University. The school’s yearbook was named the Hilltopper for the original site of the school, a 10.9-acre tract known in the community of Irvington as Violet Hill. The high school was closed in 1995, then reopened in 2002 as Thomas Carr Howe Academy, later becoming Thomas Carr Howe Community High School.
Thomas Marshall was the 27th governor of Indiana and vice-president of the United States under Woodrow Wilson. He was an attorney and democratic politician who advocated progressive reforms. This collection of Marshall's correspondence with colleagues, hand-written and typed notes and speeches and campaign memorabilia was compiled by John Martin Smith. Smith served as DeKalb County Historian from 1982 until his death in 2011.
For over a century, Girl Scouts has served as a unique and vital part of women's cultural history in Indiana. The materials in this collection represent an overview of that history. Included are documents from all four legacy Girl Scout Councils from northern Indiana and parts of southern Michigan: Lakeland, Limberlost, Singing Sands, and tribal Trails as well as early materials from the early history of the organization. These include meeting minutes and notes, newsletters, handbooks/activity books, scrapbooks, slide shows, and photographs.
The Town of Seelyville collection includes town minutes from as early as 1907 along with images of buildings, events and residents.
This collection of trade catalogs contains hundreds of historic advertisements for Indiana manufacturers. It is notable for the diverse industries represented. The collection was compiled by John Martin Smith, who served as DeKalb County Historian from 1982 until his death in 2011.
For more than 175 years, the Indiana Historical Society has been Indiana’s storyteller, connecting people to the past by collecting, preserving, interpreting, and sharing the state's history. During its anniversary year in 2005, IHS displayed Treasures from the Collections featuring a glimpse at some of the "jewels" that make the collection unique.
A digital repository of unique U.S. Civil War materials from East Central Indiana that includes letters, diaries, photographs, videotaped readings, and other Civil War documentation.
Urban Times is a monthly newsmagazine (published every month except January) which serves as the "official neighborhood newsletter" for thirteen Indianapolis neighborhoods. Urban Times is also heavily committed to news of the business community in the newsmagazine’s distribution area, as well as development news and arts-and-entertainment news. Urban Times was launched in August 2005 when editor and publisher Bill Brooks merged two neighborhood newsletters, The Lockerbie Letter and The Keyhole (The Old Northside), adding Chatham Arch and St. Joseph. Since that time, the other neighborhoods have petitioned to join the family.
The digitized yearbook collection includes annuals covering the period from the late 1890s up to a decade ago. The yearbooks were issued under three titles throughout the history of Valparaiso University and its predecessor, Northern Indiana Normal School. There are also various annuals from the late 1890s-1917 named after specific classes (Scientific, Classic, Professional, and Medical).
The Vermillion County Community collection contains digital items donated to the project by private individuals in Vermillion County.
The Vigo County Community collection contains digital itms donated to the project by private individual in Vigo County. It also contains digital images from the Clabber Girl Museum displays and photographs of buildings, products and employees from its 150 year history.
The Vigo County Historical Society contains the following collections: dolls, photographs, greeting cards, and Wabash Valley Profiles, a series of tributes to hometown people and events that have shaped our history.
Digitized books and pamphlets make up the core of the collection with such items as histories of Vigo County and Terre Haute, pictorial histories, school publications, specialized materials in African-American and women's history, and pamphlets documenting local institutions and organizations. Oral history transcripts, photographs, Civil War letters and transcriptions, and other materials recording the history of the area round out the remainder of the collection.
These collections from the Bryon R. Lewis Historical Library at Vincennes University highlight the importance of Vincennes, Indiana's oldest city, and the state's oldest college to early Indiana statehood. Initial collections to be digitized include the early family papers reflecting the city's French heritage, documents reflecting the origins of higher education in Indiana, and selected early Knox County government records.
W. A. Swift was born in Metamora, Indiana, on August 17, 1877. He moved to Muncie in 1918 and was working for the Delaware Engraving Company as a photographer by 1923. He was a commercial photographer in Muncie through the 1940s. The collection documents both the ordinary and extraordinary events of daily life in Muncie, primarily in the 1920s.
This collection includes materials pertaining to the National Horse Thief Detective Association, proceedings of twenty-six annual NHTDA meetings held between 1878 and 1932, complete minutes of meetings and ledgers of the Waynetown Detective Company from 1866 to 1934, as well as constitutions, by-laws, and articles of association of local chapters, miscellaneous documents, personal accounts, letters, newspaper articles, two essays on NHTDA and vigilantism in Indiana, and other related items.
The mission of the Wabash Valley Genealogy Society is to promote genealogy, educate, support the collections and services of the library, and to preserve the heritage and history of the Wabash Valley families who settled here.
This collection consists of Muster, pay and receipt rolls of Indiana territory volunteers or militia of the period of the War of 1812. They are in the form of four oversized bound volumes of photostats made by Leet Brothers Co. in 1926 from information in the U.S. Adjutant General's Office.
Warren Central High School and Warren Township were named for Joseph Warren, a Revolutionary War doctor and patriot who died in the battle of Bunker Hill. The original Warren Central opened in January 1925 at the corner of 10th Street & Post Road on the far eastside of Indianapolis.
This expanding collection will include the full text content of a variety of pamphlets and books related to the history of Wayne County, Indiana.
We Shall Remain Community Coalition Partners applied and were awarded an outreach grant to provide support programming for the PBS American Experience | We Shall Remain, a five-part television series. Through this grant the Coalition Partners hoped to increase awareness and acknowledgment of Native American's contributions and presence in Northeast Indiana, past and present. Coalitions Partners included representatives from the Allen County History Center, Miami Tribe of Indiana, Allen County Public Library, Science Central, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW), and WFWA PBS39.
This collection includes images of nineteenth- and twentieth-century Westchester Township in Porter County, located in the dunes country of northern Indiana. The postcards, photographs, and business cards reflect the community’s commercial, industrial, cultural, and social development.
The Whitko Community Digital Collection consists of images of five townships of the Whitko area in northeastern Indiana. Many residents and groups have loaned photographs for this ongoing project to document our community from past to present.
William Henry Harrison was elected the 9th President of the United States in 1840, served as the Indiana Territory's first governor, defended the frontier from Native American insurgents, and commanded the Army of the Northwest from 1812 to 1814. The Harrison Collection contains correspondence (personal, governmental and military), legal papers and engraved portraits. Although Harrison's secretary penned some correspondence, most were handwritten and signed by Harrison.
The collection consists of scrapbooks created by local and national newspaper columnist, William W. Dinkle (1873-1940) and presents the most complete history of the theatre in South Bend, Indiana and the surrounding areas during the time period of 1890 to 1940. Interwoven in the theatrical collection featuring interviews and photographs of prominent stars of the era are programs, articles and photographs that pertain to circuses.
The Woodburn Historical Society Collection consists of photographs depicting life in the town of Woodburn and surrounding Maumee Township from the late nineteenth through twentieth centuries. The collection also contains photographs of several of the town's founders and civic leaders, as well as pictures of schools and rare images of two of the early log cabins in the township.
When the United States entered World War I in April of 1917, President Woodrow Wilson established the Committee on Public Information (CPI) and its offshoot, the Division of Pictorial Publicity (DPP) to promote public support. Some of the finest artists of the day created posters to spread the word, including Indiana native Gaar Williams. The subjects covered enlistment in the armed forces, conservation, industrial mobilization, subscriptions to Liberty Loans, and other patriotic duties.
Indiana Memory is made possible through the collaborative efforts of academic libraries, public libraries, historical societies, museums, and archives to create and share their digital collections reflecting Indiana's cultural heritage. These collections reside on CONTENTdm servers across the state. To learn more about these digital collections, follow the links to the left.
Currently, Indiana Memory aggregates over 350,000 items in 276 collections.