Boudinot House

Description: The Boudinot home which stood where the Indiana State Teachers College gymnasium now stands. Drawing by Juliet A. Peddle, Terre Haute architect and artist.
Drawing of the Boudinot home which stood where the Indiana State Teachers College gymnasium now stands. By Juliet A. Peddle, Terre Haute architect and artist.The Boudinot House formerly stood on the west side of the site now occupied by the Indiana State Teachers College Gymnasium. It was originally built by John Boudinot Jr., a grandson of Elias Boudinot who was president of Congress in 1782, when the treaty of peace was signed with England. His son, John, migrated to Indiana in 1817, and settled in the vicinity of Carlisle.John Jr. saw a future for himself in the Terre Haute area and took out a quarter section of land from the government in 1831. The grant for his quarter section, signed by Andrew Jackson, is still in the possession of his descendants. This tract included much of the land now occupied by the Indiana State Teachers College.His business was called pork packing which in actual fact was often carried on by delivering the hogs alive via flatboat to New Orleans and returning home overland.In 1834, John married Mary A. Lockridge and brought her to live in the house he had built on his land. She lived in this house the rest of her life and died there in 1916 at the age of one hundred years.The house has had additions since it was first constructed, and it is not certain just what part of the house was built first. However, the front part, as illustrated, could have been built then as for style, except for the porch which is definitely a later addition. It is thought that there was originally no porch at all on the front.The plan was not dissimilar to the Warren house with a central stair hall and a single room at each side in front, a long veranda back of the hall, and a wing on the west side to the rear. It is said that the windows of the house had no glass in them at first, only oiled paper, and there never were any window weights in the windows.Within a year or two after Mrs. Boudinots death in 1915, the house was taken down to make way for tennis courts for the college, and thus another interesting old land mark yielded to the march of time.
Origin: 01/01/2005
Contributor(s): Peddle, Juliet, 1899-1979
Source: http://indianamemory.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/rose/id/805
Collection: Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology Logan Library
Rights: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/
Copyright: Copyright Undetermined
Subjects: Architectural drawings
Architecture
Houses
Boudinot family
Boudinot, John, ca. 1800-
Architecture

Further information on this record can be found at its source.