Students of No. 8 District School, Otter Creek Township, Vigo County, Indiana

Description: The Number 8 District school was built in the late 1800s to provide for the education of black children in the township. In 1909 it was destroyed by fire but was rebuilt the following year. The teacher at the time that this photo was taken (c.1930) was Mrs. Ruth Hill (back row, second from right). A second one-room school house was constructed next to the first in 1931 to allow for separate accommodations for grades 1-6 and grades 7-9. Decreased enrollment during the Great Depression brought about the closure of one buildings in 1937 and reduced the school to one room, again. The school finally closed in 1943. One of the surviving buildings was moved to Sandcut, Vigo County, Indiana, where it was remodeled and is today (2010) a public library building
Origin: c1930
Source: http://indstate.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/lcg/id/45
Collection: Lost Creek Grove
Subjects: Segregation
Schools
African American
Education
People

Further information on this record can be found at its source.